Jump to content
Kiwi

What would make you visit GC more?

Recommended Posts

Just wondering, nothing more. Would be keen to know your views just in case we are missing anything missing obvious.  Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel it’s a chicken and egg situation. I visit everyday but rarely see anything new, which can only be brought about by a larger membership and folks posting more. Perhaps there are already too many other guitar sites, or six stringers are less community centric than their low end cousins? I’ve tried to encourage axe wielding friends to join, but to no avail :( .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ezbass said:

I feel it’s a chicken and egg situation. I visit everyday but rarely see anything new, which can only be brought about by a larger membership and folks posting more. Perhaps there are already too many other guitar sites, or six stringers are less community centric than their low end cousins? I’ve tried to encourage axe wielding friends to join, but to no avail :( .

As above.

I visit every day.Not very many new posts though.Nothing wrong with the forum at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we shape the forum in favour of the things you like to post about?  It will take a while for things to pick up but if no-one posts anything then nothing is going to change.  I was also thinking about giveaways or a competition or something but the benefit is usually temporary unless the place is more interesting to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that most people on here are Basschat members that also play guitar, I don't know what the official stats are but that's my observation. I suppose that's quite a specific demographic, which is probably why it's not all that busy over here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 03:18, darkandrew said:

It seems that most people on here are Basschat members that also play guitar, I don't know what the official stats are but that's my observation. I suppose that's quite a specific demographic, which is probably why it's not all that busy over here.

I think you're right - so the problem is about how to draw in from a larger source I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 23:18, Kiwi said:

I think you're right - so the problem is about how to draw in from a larger source I guess.

It's a difficult one - if we look to other guitar-centred forums for inspiration, then we're just going to end up as a clone of them and therefore just another guitar forum. What makes Basschat special are the members and real sense of community that they bring, in which case I guess it begs the question as to whether we actually need a guitar specific forum or if it's best just to keep the one forum (ie. Basschat) and have a dedicated guitar area within it?

Edited by darkandrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darkandrew said:

I guess it begs the question as to whether we actually need a guitar specific forum or if it's best just to keep the one forum (ie. Basschat) and have a dedicated guitar area within it?

That reminds me of a joke from work.
Q: How many designers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Does it have to be a light bulb?

I think it's OK for each to define their own senses of community and identity.  It's probably inevitable and helps ensure a broader appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I think it's OK for each to define their own senses of community and identity.  It's probably inevitable and helps ensure a broader appeal.

And that brings us right around to the initial question of this post - how do we make this particular forum (ie. Guitarchat) more appealing? Whether we like it or not, one question that does need to be asked is whether the forum would have a larger and more active readership if it were a part of the Basschat forum? Would it be possible to have certain pages shared across both forums? This might be one way to increase readership and activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darkandrew said:

And that brings us right around to the initial question of this post - how do we make this particular forum (ie. Guitarchat) more appealing? Whether we like it or not, one question that does need to be asked is whether the forum would have a larger and more active readership if it were a part of the Basschat forum? Would it be possible to have certain pages shared across both forums? This might be one way to increase readership and activity.

There's a distinction to be made though between the kind of appeal that attracts initial interest and the kind of appeal that sustains interaction in the longer term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above,    folk pop in but the  ''long term''  isn't like on Basschat,  my opinion is that there are enough guitar sites to satisfy already,  which for this site is a shame,  what if i said that if only the bass players from next door are the dominant force here,  then though we have a guitar, it would be an  ''as well as'',   so the need to be here is less,  and the bespoke guitar players are already catered for as per my first line.   Its the lack of activity that makes it unnecessary to visit more.   As a matter of interest i'm a member of a Ford site,   and that site is using the exact setup software as here and B/chat,  which makes it easy for me to get around,  that's not over used either.      I have a new custom built guitar which the bass players here might find interesting,  i'll make an effort to upload something soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been giving this some thought and the only idea I’ve had that has, in my mind, any potential is to team up with a guitar shop with national coverage (I’m thinking GuitarGuitar) and offer them free advertising space on the site in return for the same on their site and perhaps have their shop staff mention it to shop customers. I’m sure it could end up being a minefield, but it’s all I have, short of physically making my guitar playing chums sign up.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2020 at 17:12, ezbass said:

  ......it’s all I have, short of physically making my guitar playing chums sign up.

     Ooh !,  i like the sound of this,  we could be like the Spanish Inquisition  ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled across this place via basschat. Primarily a gyitar player that also plays bass. This site being uk based is a big plus for me. Posted at Harmony Central for years, but they hacked the site about and it went crap. UK market is also very different than US, so a UK site is better for me. 

A reviews section could be cool. But I'd rather it grow organically than get huge fast for the sake of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...