leftybassman392

Stratocasters

Set up as a partner to GuyR's Tele thread.

Here's my much-loved, much-gigged and slightly non-standard American Standard. I bought this new in 1990 from what was then Musical Exchanges in Snow Hill, Birmingham.

Since then it's had, er, a few mods. Can you tell? 9_9

Pups are David White Old Glories (the gap in the scratchplate is where one of a pair of blue Lace Sensors once lived), and if you look carefully you'll notice that the frets are jumbos. Very much a personal thing that will no doubt have the purists chirping, but I just prefer  it that way.

Stratocaster.thumb.JPG.e0126906b5d151f7205a7750d5da03bf.JPG

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Nice but I couldn't live with the hole in the guard:)

Yeah, it's a bit of a personal thing. I like that the guitar's wearing it's history on it's face (so to speak...xD).

Anyhoo; enough about me. Where's yer Strats guys?

I only have two Strats; a Bravewood '62 type I bought on EBay 10 years ago or so. Brazilian rosewood slab board, all period correct and as good to play as it is to look at.

zOrVZzF.jpg

nWpdcjv.jpg

R3c59Z1.jpg

Also have a jv Squier '57 bought in 1990ish. Very light, quite chunky neck. The seller had an identical one he had "Fenderised" with new decals and didn't want to keep this, which he said was in too good condition to gig and surplus to requirements. It is still almost immaculate, save for 2 dings.

qbo1wrQ.jpg

I am always on the lookout for another, of course.

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1

Liking the '57. 👍

I had a MIJ '57 RI that looked very similar to this (apart from being a leftie of course 9_9). Fretboard on mine was a little darker as I recall, but otherwise pretty much exactly the same. Lovely guitar, currently in the possession of my nephew. I gave it to him as a gift on condition that he never sell it so that I can buy it back off him if I ever change my mind xD. That was around 5 years ago, and he still had it when I asked him earlier this year.

Bought and sold a few cheap copies over the years to try different neck shapes and pups, but the one I still have is my US Standard from 1994. Saved for two years to afford it, ordered it in July that year. It had to come in from the States as I wanted a lefty three tone burst with rosewood board that neither the shop in Belfast nor Arbiter in London had in at the time. I remember picking it up on the 25th anniversary of Hendrix performing at Woodstock (the rosewood / burst choice was a direct Hendrix influence at the time). Still got it. If ever I was in the position where money was no object, I'd have Fender make me a new neck with a slightly narrower nut and soft-V profile; I always found it just a tiny bit wide for optimum comfort. It also has the old, blocky saddles they put on the two-point trem back then. Ugly as sin, but I liked to keep the old boy all-original so I keep them on there. Funnily enough, it always sounded a bit too "polite" somehow back when, but it has aged beautifully. That dreadful anemic look the maple used to have back then has also faded to a nice, light amber hue now. Lovely old axe with a lot of mojo, and in beautiful condition as I never really gigged. Time has come that (once I've sold some bits to fund it) I want a stablemate with a maple board; failing the availability of a left handed Classic Player 50s in LPB (never a spec offered), I foresee a Player Series in tidepool coming into my life within the next eighteen months... hopefully with a matching Player  P bass too.