YnJ

Worn out neck

Hi!

I've got an 1988 model Fender HM Strat with a very worn neck. The frets needs replacing, but I'm not sure what to do with the fretboard. It looks like whatever it was coverered with has been worn off. Do I need to sand it down and oil or lacquer it or something?

000000.jpg

Edited by YnJ

6 hours ago, YnJ said:

Hi!

I've got an 1988 model Fender HM Strat with a very worn neck. The frets needs replacing, but I'm not sure what to do with the fretboard. It looks like whatever it was coverered with has been worn off. Do I need to sand it down and oil or lacquer it or something?

000000.jpg

That’s mojo right there, I’d leave it. YMMV.

• Like 1

It was the only proper guitar I had for a while, so it has been used a lot. I got it brand new, and I still used it a lot after I got my other HM Strat as well. So, I should just leave the fretboard as it is? It really needs new frets though

8 hours ago, YnJ said:

... I've got an 1988 model Fender HM Strat with a very worn neck...

I'm assuming from reading your post that you're not going to try re-fretting yourself (a wise decision, I'd say...). You don't give your location, but there must be a reputable guitar technician somewhere close enough. Show him/her the guitar, and they will advise as to the best course of action, probably with several options, depending on budget and result requested. It may just need a fret dressing, or it could be a complete 'good as new' job; you decide on what seems the best choice for yourself, guided by competent professionals. Good luck with it; let us know how it goes, please..? rWNVV2D.gif

I'll have to admit I thought about refretting it myself. I've never done it, the internet says it really easy though

There are a couple of music stores around here with their own workshop, I'll guess I have one of them send it in for refretting. I was thinking about having the original frets replaced with slightly larger frets, is that a good idea?

8 minutes ago, YnJ said:

I'll have to admit I thought about refretting it myself. I've never done it, the internet says it really easy though

There are a couple of music stores around here with their own workshop, I'll guess I have one of them send it in for refretting. I was thinking about having the original frets replaced with slightly larger frets, is that a good idea?

Yes, re-fretting is easy, for experienced guitar technicians..! It can be done 'at home', but results can be disappointing, especially if one doesn't have adequate tools for the job. Best done, for the first (and second, and third..!) time on a neck with no particular value.
What would 'slightly larger' frets bring to the party..? If it played well before, have the same fitted, and it will play well again. Remember the old adage : 'If it ain't busted, don't fix it.' B|

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

What would 'slightly larger' frets bring to the party..? If it played well before, have the same fitted, and it will play well again. Remember the old adage : 'If it ain't busted, don't fix it.' B|

My other HM Strat has larger frets, and I find it more to my liking in that regard

13 hours ago, YnJ said:

Thanks! I don't mind the wear as long as it's not affecting the guitar, what sort of oil should I use?

Anyone here who's ever own a guitar with an entirely unfinished maple neck would be great to chime in for what they use. For the sort of thing you have, I'd probably just try a bit of lemon oil (guitar lemon oil - Jim Dunlop and all the big guitar care brands will sell it - it's not from juiced lemons, they'll just make your fretboard sticky!) once or twice a year. 

48 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Anyone here who's ever own a guitar with an entirely unfinished maple neck would be great to chime in for what they use. For the sort of thing you have, I'd probably just try a bit of lemon oil (guitar lemon oil - Jim Dunlop and all the big guitar care brands will sell it - it's not from juiced lemons, they'll just make your fretboard sticky!) once or twice a year. 

I've never used, or even been tempted to use, oil of any kind on any of my guitars or basses. I do clean them upon acquisition and after heavy use, using a very tiny amount of Dr Duck (I have had the same bottle for a couple of decades now, and it's still over half-full; really only a drop or two at a time, for the whole guitar or bass...)...

q49f80j.jpg

• Like 1

I found some BigBend Fret Board Juice I've forgotten I had, I guess I could use that? I used to use something that was almost like a stick on the fretboards of my guitars back when I was most active

6 minutes ago, YnJ said:

It's that not good?

Neither good nor bad, if used very, very sparingly. A couple of drops on a soft cloth (old, clean tee-shirt, or kitchen roll..?) and wipe it on, count to three slowly, then wipe it off. Guitars don't need regular oil changes like internal combustion cars and motorbikes. As with many things, less is more. Wipe it on, wipe it off and get back to practising. (Clean hands when playing, and wiping down the strings afterwards, are a Good Thing. That's really all a guitar or bass needs...). B|

• Like 1

if i were in your position i wouldn't put anything on the fretboard, find a reputable local Luthier and take it there for the new frets, (taking the other one along as a reference is a good idea)

normally a maple neck is lacquered to protect it (Musicman being the major exception to that rule) the wear is a sign that you've really played it and presumably enjoyed playing it, i would leave it as a badge of honour, people are paying extra to have that kind of wear faked on new instruments.

if you give us a general idea of wher you live (rough area is enough eg north London or just the county) then we might be able to suggest someone locally that can be trusted with the re-fret . I certainly can suggest a couple of people local to me in the north east of England.

Matt

• Thanks 1