The Pinky

Strings

Hopefully I have got this in the right forum, wasn't sure where this fitted. 

Please can I have the benefit of your experience and expertise with regards to strings?

You may have seen from my posts that I picked the guitar up again about 6 months ago and one of my purchases was a Epiphone Gibson Studio, which I absolutely love, I just wish I could play better (must practice more!).  This guitar is fitted with what I would term as light strings, so much so that sometimes I inadvertently bend the strings when forming chords, these strings are great for bending for solos etc, and as I get more proficient I am less inclined to inadvertently bend the strings.  So I have no idea what strings are fitted and can only assume that they are of a lighter gauge but where on the scale I don't really know due to my relative inexperience.  I am looking to buy a set kf spares to replace the current strings when they wear or break.  My conundrum is what strings should I go for and what gauge?  Being on the lighter side the strings are comfortable to play and presumably if I go for heavier strings then they will become a little heavier to play and will be more difficult to bend, either intentionally or not.

Any thoughts, tips or advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

OK for the above ^^^^, but the 'standard' string gauge is really those that were on it from new (typically 10-46...) Most brands are OK (I use Elixir...

LjSQzyd.jpg

... which cost a little more, but last a very long time, and play and sound good, to me; other brands are good, too...). If you're bending strings unintentionally, you're gripping too hard the neck. Is the guitar supported properly (not needing your left arm to hold the neck up...)..? If not, get a decent strap, adjusted so that the guitar stays in place 'arms off'. There's never any need to use much pressure on the strings, for solo work nor for chords. When pressing down on the fingerboard, try, as an exercise, to use only as much force as is needed to get the strings to sound out clearly, no more. Make each chord shape, and make a conscious point of using as little force as possible. Do this, as an exercise, before each session, and see if it helps. Are your fingers being applied directly downwards, and not at an angle, pushing the string 'sharp'..? Again, take care when playing to think and look at each finger, slowly, to make sure it's all good.
Of course, a lesson or two with a competent tutor should sort out issues like this, so I'd recommend that course, if at all possible, just to get this technique issue sorted. Ye, heavier strings will be harder to push out of tune, but it won't correct errors being made, which will remain for decades to come if not jumped on early (No, I don't mean to suggest that you jump on your fingers; that would be silly, and would hurt 9_9 ...). Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1

I agree with @Dad3353. If you are bending strings whilst forming chord shapes, it sounds more like a slight technique issue which really needs nipping in the bud before you progress too far.

It should take very little pressure to press the strings and thus, the string gauge should come down to a preference to the feel rather than correcting inadvertant bending. As said above, a few lessons with a tutor should put you on the straight and narrow.

I have repeated bouts of arthritis in my fingers, so I actually use very lightweight strings (D'addario 8-38). I can't discern any appreciable difference in my sound, but means I play with a very light touch and don't have any issues with bending notes unneccessarily. Chuck Berry, BB King, Tony Iommi and Billy Gibbons all supposedly use/used very light strings, plenty of players used heavy strings (SRV for instance). But I think you will find that most players use either 9-42 or 10-46 and they can get it to work ok...

Edited by randythoades

24 minutes ago, randythoades said:

... very lightweight strings (D'addario 8-38) ...

In my now-very-distant youth, I foolishly swapped my splendid Hofner President for a Burns Bison (yes, I know; idiot move I've regretted for decades...). The daft idea I had at the time was to dabble in Lead Guitar Playing. To this end, I knew that bending notes was The Name Of The Game, so what better than to have bendable strings, eh..? I cobbled up a set with a high 'E' '7'; the rest went from there (probably taking a set of 10-46 and moving 'em all over by one...). Yes, of course, it was unplayable, partly because I was, and have remained, a pitiful Lead Guitarist, but mostly because these strings were not strings, but cobwebs..! The slightest touch produced notes hitherto unknown to musicology, worthy of the best synth oscillators, wobbling about between [note played] and [note played plus several random half-tones]. It is not to be wondered at, why I chose to switch to drums. The Burns was traded in for a keyboard for my girlfriend at the time, which in turn became a Hohner Pianet for my parents (my father wanted to learn the piano...). The moral of this sad tale..? Use 'standard' strings unless there is a very, very good reason dictated by experience and wisdom; there's a reason why most folk do so. a set of 10-46 suit most folk playing most electric guitars, end of. OK, OK... I'll make an exception for those playing heavy metal riffs, that may evolve to 'top light-heavy bottom' sets, to go 'chunkachunkachunka' with for hours, but that's all. I'm off now to do a bit of drumming... B|

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

....but mostly because these strings were not strings, but cobwebs..! The slightest touch produced notes hitherto unknown to musicology, worthy of the best synth oscillators, wobbling about between [note played] and [note played plus several random half-tones].... The moral of this sad tale..? Use 'standard' strings unless there is a very, very good reason dictated by experience and wisdom; there's a reason why most folk do so. a set of 10-46 suit most folk playing most electric guitars, end of.

Wise words... It was a challenge moving down to 8s from the 10s that I had played for years and did require significant control and concentration on clean technique for a couple of weeks, but now I don't notice any difference except the ability to play for longer periods. But as said... standard 10-46 strings are standard for a reason, they suit most styles and most players and any reason for change is purely a personal choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to very body for your advice and thoughts.  If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the strings that are currently fitted are probably among the lightest if not the lightest.  I think that the combination of my poor technique and light weight strings give rise to my issues, therefore I have decided that I will probably replace the strings with a set of 10-46, as per the concensus of opinion here, and of course I need to practice a whole lot more.  I do have somebody who has offered to look at my technique and posture etc, all I need to do is contact him.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 20:10, The Pinky said:

Thanks to very body for your advice and thoughts.  If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that the strings that are currently fitted are probably among the lightest if not the lightest.  I think that the combination of my poor technique and light weight strings give rise to my issues, therefore I have decided that I will probably replace the strings with a set of 10-46, as per the concensus of opinion here, and of course I need to practice a whole lot more.  I do have somebody who has offered to look at my technique and posture etc, all I need to do is contact him.

In a very strange thing, but I picked up another of my (woefully underused) guitars last night that has 10-46 strings on (Les Paul scale) and I found it really difficult to play after a few months playing the 8s. My very light touch just wouldn't cut it... I need to replace them!

Although I did like the way that it gave me more attitude striking and bending the strings more.

My son-in-law,who is an accomplished guitarist came to stay with us recently and he couldn't resist picking my the electric guitar up as soon as he saw it.  He said it was beautifully set up and suggested it was probably technique that was at issue and made a few suggestions for improvements for both my left and right hands, and even after a few minutes of playing after following his advice I was much happier with the sound from the acoustic and the electric.  I still need plenty of practice but at least it is another step and I suddenly feel like I am improving.

• Like 1

Played my son's very nice new Fender Telecaster today, it is absolutely beautiful to play in comparison to my guitars, neither of which I am unpleased with!  I appreciate that it is more than just strings and there are other factors that influence "playability", however I have decided to try a set of 10-46 strings which have suggested here.  I will let you know how I get on.

• Thanks 1

I think it matters more for some types of sound. There's a Rick Beato vid on Youtube where he shows how, contrary to the popular opinion that "heavy equals teh tonez", if you're a shredder playing with a lot of gain and distortion, lighter strings actually give you a clearer tone. Maybe that's why Brian May plays, if memory serves, eights (how he doesn't snap strings all the time mystifies me, especially given what he uses for picks...). 

I started out with 9s. The first thing I did with my first electric was restring it (it was right handed, I'm a southpaw and Hendrixed it - left-handed guitars were a whole lot rarer, especially used, in 1991). I kept snapping the high e, so after a bit I started buying a separate 10 and putting that on for the high E. Meant it was a lot close what I was using for a B from a 9 set, and felt a little different, though no derogatory effect on the sound. Eventually I just switched up to tens all over, and have been happy with that since. Over time my pick of choice also went up from a .46 to, nowadays, anything from 1mm to 2mm, which works fine with 10s - guess I've figures out the right 'grip' as to not snap 'em all the time now. 

• Like 1

I finally got round to changing the strings a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed the difference, I have also changed identified a couple of issues with my technique which I am addressing- basically I am gripping onto the neck too much, I am relaxing my grip a little and am noticing the difference in my playing on both the acoustic and electric guitar.