7 members have voted

1. 1. Best Wah Pedal- Vote & Comment Why

• Dunlop/Crybaby/Vox
    • Morley
    • Auto Wah
    • Rack Based
    • Other

I really struggle with wahs.

I need one that does the good, shafty, quacky, funky stuff on cleans - ever heard the intro on Jamiroquai's 'Starchild'? That's it, but I also want a very vocal, Hendrixy/Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous sound on overdriven sounds with a nice, smooth and decent pedal travel. Finding one that does all this under the same hood has been a journey and I've had Boss, Budda, Dunlop, Fulltone, RMC, and had the loan of a Moolon and Xotic, and both were nice, but just not quite there.

Any recommendations, other than getting 2 wahs that do each thing well?

3 minutes ago, Kebabkid said:

I really struggle with wahs.

I need one that does the good, shafty, quacky, funky stuff on cleans - ever heard the intro on Jamiroquai's 'Starchild'? That's it, but I also want a very vocal, Hendrixy/Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous sound on overdriven sounds with a nice, smooth and decent pedal travel. Finding one that does all this under the same hood has been a journey and I've had Boss, Budda, Dunlop, Fulltone, RMC, and had the loan of a Moolon and Xotic, and both were nice, but just not quite there.

Any recommendations, other than getting 2 wahs that do each thing well?

Have you tried the CAE or the Bonamassa wah?       Both a really good and versatile imo but I like a switchless wah so have two.

Was never happy with the CryBaby or the Morley style wah's. The boutique wah's were just too expensive.

Stumbled upon a Colorsound Wah during my "analogue/retro" phase, and it was superb, great sweep, superb sound, built like a tank but didn't weigh as much as a CryBaby. Result.

No idea of the vintage of them, my first was a red one, battery only. My second was a black one, which had been converted to run off a 9v PSU.

4 hours ago, John_P said:

Have you tried the CAE or the Bonamassa wah?       Both a really good and versatile imo but I like a switchless wah so have two.

Sorry. I forgot to say I had the CAE and I know it's rated but it just did the one thing well.

I've not tried the Bonamassa but that is the sort of sound I would go for on the overdriven wah side - cheers

I don't own one myself - yet - but a friend of mine let me have a go on an Ibanez Weeping Daemon. One massive advantage is a control for the centre frequencies so that you can use it for guitar and bass, plus optional latching if you need to be able to jump on and off the pedal mid-song (doing rhythm and lead in a single-guitar band, or sudden call for a bass solo, I guess?). As for the wah itself, I'm not a connoisseur, but it certainly sounded the part to me!

I use a Behringer HELLBABE and love it.

Unlike most conventional pedals, the HB01 has a fully optical control without mechanical controls and switches for wear-free pedal operation. A unique, spring-back pedal mechanism and a freely adjustable tilt resistance ensure maximum play comfort. The heel-down frequency can be adjusted via the range knob from 440 Hz to 250 Hz, which also makes this pedal perfect for electric basses!

An additional fine-tune control is used to increase the frequency range of the control range for an incredibly brilliant and impressive sound. For a precise setting of the filter curve for a voice-like effect character, the pedal has a super-musical Q control. With the adjustable boost function, including on/off switch, you can effectively highlight your licks. Dual status LEDs for effect and boost activation at the back of the unit provide you with optimum control. Last but not least, our Ultra Low-Noise circuitry delivers an excellent sound quality. 

13715821_800.jpg
13715776_800.jpg