Sign in to follow this  
Thunderpaws

Boss Katana

Hey Guitarchat. My first look here. I drifted over from basschat. 

I have some vouchers. Play bass primarily but mess around with ideas and recording at home lately. 

Option 1) buy a Boss Katana 50 so I have a range of easily accessible tones at home. Are they as good as everyone says for the money?

Option 2) sell my PRS SE and use the vouchers plus what ever I make to buy a Telecaster as I’ve always wanted one. 

So, who here has a Katana and are you in love with it as much as YouTube?

cheers

I don’t own a Katana but I’d say get the Tele, because you’ll get more joy from a guitar you’ve always wanted, rather than a new black box with knobs on. However, if an amp is what you need, also have a look at the Boss Nextone, they sound great on YT.

I bought myself a Katana 100 212 as an early Christmas present.

It is a great amp for the money, I particularly like the fact that there's  a headphone jack and that it can run on 0.5, 50 or 100 watts so it really can do both home practice and decent sized venues.

As for the 'easily accessible tones', I'm finding there's a bit more of a learning curve involved than some online reviews imply, particularly with the effects section.

I need to spend some time with the amp connected up to the PC with the Tone Studio software to really get a handle on what it might be capable of.

Katana has been the amp hit of the decade and all other manufacturers have been left in the dust. Our guitarist gigged extensively with a 50 and the sounds he got never ceased to amaze, especially at sub €200. He uses it to record too. He is however, very tech savvy so he really knows how to get the best out of one. That said, they still sound great straight out the box.

I bought a Katana 50 combo a few months ago and it's terrific, a great variety of tones available and you can store settings and recall them with a push of a button, very happy with mine :)

John