Mel Parkin

Tanglewood Indiana Santa Cruz Guitar

Hi, I’ve had a guitar sat in my loft for about 15 years and the time has come to empty said loft and part with everything I have hoarded over the years. I can not find anything about it as the label inside just states Tanglewood, model Indiana Santa Cruz and inspected by Jong Hun. I’ve tried sending pictures to Tanglewood themselves but the files I fear may be too big and haven’t gone through. I’ve searched in Archived records for old models but model numbers seem to be just initials and numbers. Has anyone seen anything like the one I’ve described. I wanted to learn how to play a guitar but realised I could not read music and hadn’t a clue what I was doing so unfortunately gave up. It then became an ornament for a few years before I stashed it in the loft. I’ve tried to upload and image but failed miserably, the pictures are on my iPad and have no idea how to get them into a http file. I would appreciate any feedback as wanting to sell it but want to set a realistic price for someone to buy it. A friend said it looked like a parlour acoustic guitar but that’s all I know.

i can't help with the value but judging by the logo on the label it's from the early days of Tanglewood, strictly speaking it is a classical guitar rather than a parlour (which would have steel strings rather than the nylon ones fitted here)

a good start would be to look at the edge of the soundhole and see if you determine if the top is made from solid wood or ply, Solid would indicate that it's a better quality guitar as ply is generally only used on the cheaper guitars.

some pictures of the back and sides would also help to determine it's true value. It looks like a fairly nice instrument.

Matt

• Like 2

hmm, that looks like it might be Mahogany or one of it's relatives, which doesn't really help a huge amount (if it was rosewood that would be a definite sign of a high end guitar)

Did you manage to look at the to to see if it is laminated or solid?

I did some research myself and it seems that there isn't anything online about these guitars, unfortunately there is very little documented on the early years of tanglewood,

Matt

Hello again, I’ve since heard back from Tanglewood themselves - the question is I suppose is, is it worth anything in view of the fact I’m wanting to sell it.

This was a sample classical made around 1999-2000. Unfortunately as it was a sample we don’t have many details - we can tell you it was a Cedar top with Mahogany back and sides.

Hope this is of some help, sorry we cant give anything more.

Best Regards

Dan 

EMC / Tanglewood Guitars

55 minutes ago, Mel Parkin said:

Hello again, I’ve since heard back from Tanglewood themselves - the question is I suppose is, is it worth anything in view of the fact I’m wanting to sell it.

This was a sample classical made around 1999-2000. Unfortunately as it was a sample we don’t have many details - we can tell you it was a Cedar top with Mahogany back and sides.

Hope this is of some help, sorry we cant give anything more.

Best Regards

Dan 

EMC / Tanglewood Guitars

Good of them to reply. Cedar and Mahogany is pretty standard classical guitar construction.