adamg67

Paul Reed Smith

I know PRS can divide opinion, and they're often seen as a middle aged person's choice of guitar, but I'm middle aged anyway so that's fine. Here's mine just to get things started, it's not a full fat "core" PRS (I'm not actually a fan of the fancy ten top style ones), it's a PRS S2 Custom 24, so that's made in the same factory in the USA but without the carved top and a few other things to save money. It still has the set neck and the same quality control etc, but at a much more sensible price, and this was second hand as well. It's basically this: https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/s2/s2_custom_24_2018. Not to be confused with the PRS SE guitars which are made in Korea, I actually traded a PRS SE 245 for this and it's a huge step up from the SE.

It's the nicest playing guitar I've ever owned, I really like the way it looks - the picture doesn't quite do the colour justice - and the sound is just exactly what I wanted. I think it will be my #1 guitar for a good while.

978793355_PRSMidRes1.jpg.cda5edf32c0442669d9075f99e7f8747.jpg

(I don't know why the picture comes out that way round when it's vertical on my PC, but it does't really matter. It is actually hanging on the wall, not performing some levitation trick!)

• Like 3

Fine, fine guitars. I owned an original run McCarty and a Swamp Ash Special, both were fantastic players with bags of great tone, although eventually I found the ergonomics weren’t for me. I also had an SE singlecut later on which was better for me as a design and was stunning value for money. I’ll see if I have any pictures stored somewhere.

EDIT: None of the Swamp Ash Special sadly. However...

PA160001.jpg

my old prs.jpg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

I actually managed to play a couple of SE models while in Hong Kong last year, one of which was the Santana model which is not so different to my Yamaha MSGs.  I was blown away by their playability!  Very nice, supple feel to the strings and relatively low string tension which made bends super easy.

Now I'm gassing for a Custom 22 in Amber - the classic look I used to see in those ads in the back of Guitar Player in the 80's.  The guitarist in a band I was part of back in the early 90s had a PRS Custom 22 and a Mesa Boogie MkIIc and it made a glorious sound.  It was the only kit he had but couldn't fault him for taste at all. 

Also gassing for a 509 and a 305 as well.  Oh dear, I can't afford this.

• Like 1

I  reallyl ike the Starla. I've never much cared for their usual 'type' as I'm not a figured woods et cetera man - Fender cusotm coloursand Eastwood styled oddballs would be more my aesthtetic of choice.  That siad, I do admire the craftsmanship in the PRSes, and they are undeniably good for their type. I really like the simplicity of their electronics and hardware; that wraparound bridge is a thing of beauty. I've never played one (never seen a lefty in person), though I'd love a shot at playing one of their recent takes on the Strat type, be interesting to compare it to my Fender. I suspect the neck might be a little too wide/flat for me by the look of them, but I actually find the notion of such a successful company as they have become in the last thirty odd years doing their own reappraisal of such a classic an interesting exercise.