My Les Paul Trad has always had a low-level electrical hum - the sort that stops when you touch the strings. 

I’ve had some time on my hands recently and started playing it a lot more and now the hum has started to really wind me up. 

So I’ve just spent a happy morning shielding the control cavity with copper tape and - like magic - the hum has now gone!

Happy day! 

Im now wondering if this might work on the irritating noise coming from Mrs S*......

*Just kidding, obvs. The next 12 weeks will fly past in the wink of an eye 😁

• Like 1

I think we’re all about to become a bit Zen about small tasks, learning to take joy in little everyday things. For my part, I always enjoy tinkering with guitars, but I’m up to date with all of that at the moment, so I’ll have to find other things that need doing, although I draw the line at painting skirting boards - hateful task.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

So I’ve just spent a happy morning shielding the control cavity with copper tape and - like magic - the hum has now gone!

I'm just wondering if some unconnected earth contacts might have been accidentally reconnected during the installation process? 

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I'm just wondering if some unconnected earth contacts might have been accidentally reconnected during the installation process? 

I checked all of the contacts before I did anything and they were all in place. It’s very much like my Rick basses which also needed shielding.