jjl5590

Bassist looking to buy his first electric guitar

Hi all,

First post here! I'm a bassist with 10 years experience. I'm a big fan of Ibanez, having owned an Ergodyne EDB-400 as my first bass, and now an SR-500. I loved them both.

I've also got a Freshman electro-acoustic, but have never owned a proper decent electric, so I'm in the market for one!

I've found the following options, trying to keep it under £200. I'm leaning towards the Ergodyne just because I like the style of it better than the others. All opinions welcome!

Washburn X40 - £100

Ibanez Ergodyne EDR470EX - £200

Ibanez RG350EX - £250

Many thanks

The RG series has such good credentials, it’d be hard to go too far wrong there (I know nothing of the Ergodynes, but probably just aesthetically different). When looking to keep cost low but quality high, I’d always be looking at a Yamaha. However, there’s nothing better than actually getting you hands on a batch to choose what plays the best (pickups can always be upgraded).

These days almost all of the entry level instruments are good, maybe not brilliant but certainly much, much better than they were in the days of old.

Get out and try a few, find one that feels right to you. The best thing you can then do, is have it properly set up, whether you do it yourself or pay a tech, honestly it will make the learning experience easier and more of a pleasure. 

• Like 1

It's funny, I remember when I started looking at guitars and playing around 1991, all the guys who'd been playinmg for years then used to eulogise about how great beginner guitars were then compared to their early days, raving about how great the standard Squiers (then made in Korea mostly, but there were some still Japanese in 1990) were and so on... Now, closing in on thirty years later, I'm one of the old farts who can't believe how much better beginner guitars are now. I wodner if it will ever get to the point where the high end big names like Gibson will be forced to do more affrdable stuff because there isn't the same market from non-pros for  the expensive stuff? (At that, in my experience it's always been well-heeled amateurs in my experience that buy the pricey stuff; 90% of professional, working musos I know tend to be almost make do and mend about a lot of their gear, given for most it's not exactly big money time...).

• Like 1