Rikki_Sixx

Fender AcoustaSonic?

A lot of people moan about how big boys like Fender and Gibson never put out anything "new". At least least these new AcoustaSonic things are different!

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/acoustasonic-guitars

I can't decide if I like these, it looks like they scooped out a Tele and put an acoustic top on there. It's a bit messy but a bit cool all at once. Sort of.

Web_Acou_Acoustasonic_Campaign_Page_Image_Gallery_Desktop_Update.jpg

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Adding an image

Watched a couple of videos on these and was quite excited at first - the idea of something that you can plug and sounds properly like an acoustic with a bit of body and can also be a real electric could be a massive boon in stage, and if loud enough to noodle on a sofa even better.

Then they went into 'and here is the electric sound with some built in drive'.

Sorry, but no-one (or at least not me) wants a fixed o/d sound coming straight out of their guitar, even if it is a good one. If it had two mag pickups and a standard electric setup as well as the acoustic sounds I'd be more convinced, but this feels like they went - "hey we can do some more modelling here, so let's do some" without thinking if they should. A good idea, but no cigar.

Maybe next year's will be better thought out.

That does seem an odd inclusion with this. I could see it more if it was styled a bit more.... rawk, but for something very acoustic-styled, it would surely have been more logical to go for something like a built in reverb or tremolo, maybe echo/delay. Drive does seem an odd part of the package, especially as its the one thing that pretty much all players have already. 

That said, I can see where they might be coming from  with this if the aim is to create a guitar for a covers band that need to be able to go through the house PA. 

I don't know, I think that variety with high-end quality and reliability probably appeals to a lot of guys who do the pub residency / wedding act thing (especially in the duo format that government regulation rendered the norm some years ago - though the last I heard that had changed again?) .

Tell you what, though - a resonator version  would be cool af. Doubt I'll get the chance to play one, though - this is exactly the sort of thing they never make clouty-handed. 

Interesting development on this one in the Player Series. (can't believe it's nearly three years since the originals came out, bladdy ell.... Course, it's longer than that since I was last in a guitar shop, between various life issues and the plague...) 

The Player version looks more interesting to me, though thus far no left handers (the Tele version alone in the US range is available left handed, the Tele model is the sole model so far in the MIM Player series, but no left handers, at least not yet). 

BIG win here is the switchable battery. Main limitation remains the Tele-type pup. I would be curious to see one without it. 

22 hours ago, ezbass said:

I saw that release the other day, still not particularly pocket friendly, but heading in the right direction.

Not cheap, but still a significant differenced in price. You could buy this and a Player series Tele for the price of the US Acoustasonic. I think the Guitar Geek guy is right in that if they made a Squier version they'd have to compromise too much. Either that, or they'd end up with a Squier at the sort of price that most of the market would refuse to pay for a Squier. I think they could go a little cheaper, though, enough to make a difference if they dropped the Noiseless and gave it only the piezo and the acoustic modelling, though obviously that takes it in another direction than the original design concept. 

• Like 1