FM_Guitar

Comfiest guitar?

Hi everyone, I wondered if you had some advice. For £350 what would you consider to be the comfiest guitar to play/learn on in regards to neck profile, etc. I like something a bit different but I do love a classic so am currently considering Chapman ml3 traditional, squier paranormal esquire telecaster, Sire s3/t3, etc. I am too far away from a shop to try so would appreciate any help!

8 minutes ago, FM_Guitar said:

Hi everyone, I wondered if you had some advice. For £350 what would you consider to be the comfiest guitar to play/learn on in regards to neck profile, etc. I like something a bit different but I do love a classic so am currently considering Chapman ml3 traditional, squier paranormal esquire telecaster, Sire s3/t3, etc. I am too far away from a shop to try so would appreciate any help!

If buying on line from a reputable shop, you have the right to decide that it's not to your liking, for whatever reason, and can return it (in perfect condition, obviously...) and try another. That's expressly what the distance selling regulations are for. Choose one that you think is best for you, and try it out. No-one here can decide for you how any guitar will suit you, so I'd suggest that that's your best option. Good luck with it.
Disclaimer : I have many guitars and basses, and have never found any great discomfort in changing from one to another. I'm only a modest home player, of course, but, to me, a guitar is a guitar is a guitar, so I'm not at all precious about neck width, string spacing or whatever. Most can be set up to suit one's preferences, I d say. Hope this helps. B|

Douglas

As much as there are neck profiles that are more comfortable over others, it’s often the body shape that can cause a guitar to be uncomfortable. Slab bodied, or at least uncontoured, instruments can dig into ribs or forearms. Also some designs can make the first fret position an uncomfortable stretch (Firebirds for instance). To this end, I’d look at a Strat shaped instrument, or at least something that has a forearm and rib contour. My normal recommendation for any instrument is a Yamaha and, given your budget and my suggested body shape, the Pacifica 212 would fit the bill nicely (cheaper versions are also available) https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=Yamaha+212 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

As much as there are neck profiles that are more comfortable over others, it’s often the body shape that can cause a guitar to be uncomfortable. Slab bodied, or at least uncontoured, instruments can dig into ribs or forearms. Also some designs can make the first fret position an uncomfortable stretch (Firebirds for instance). To this end, I’d look at a Strat shaped instrument, or at least something that has a forearm and rib contour. My normal recommendation for any instrument is a Yamaha and, given your budget and my suggested body shape, the Pacifica 212 would fit the bill nicely (cheaper versions are also available) https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=Yamaha+212 

Thanks for that, would the yamaha's be better than something like a squier, vintage, etc?

37 minutes ago, FM_Guitar said:

Thanks for that, would the yamaha's be better than something like a squier, vintage, etc?

I think the question is really 'Do you want a guitar with a vibrato bar or not..?). Yamaha don't make anything bad, at any of their price points, and the Pacifica 212 is a fine guitar. It's very different compared to a Tele-type guitar, though. Neck comfort will be independent of such a choice, as you will only find out if you like any one of them by playing one. If you look through the Thomann on-line catalogue (other on-line suppliers exist...), choose whichever you like best at the price you wish to pay, and play it when it arrives. The shape, features, colour et al will be seen before buying, but how it feels to you 'in the flesh' only you can decide when you play it. There are hundreds to choose from (from the Harley Benton range alone there are dozens around that price point...), so take your time, but choose one that 'speaks' to you. From a neck point of view, you'll not find a better way of knowing if it's right for you, if you can't try 'em out in person, in a shop. A shop won't have such a range, though. If importing from Thomann doesn't suit, there are several UK purveyors of guitars with a web presence, with the same guarantee of return if it's not comfortable enough. Only you can answer that question. rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353

1 hour ago, FM_Guitar said:

I'm sorry im a bit confused! So I agree with what you're saying to go off looks and how I'll know once I've tried but are you saying there's certain styles/brands I should be wary of?

You'd be hard pressed to find a bad guitar at that price point from any of the on-line suppliers. There are none that are to be 'wary' of, with, just maybe, the famous 'weakness' of the Gibson Les Paul headstock volute, which has been known to break when dropped, even when in its case. Not an issue at £400, new, though, and even that's an easy fix for any decent luthier. The repaired joint is stronger than the original wood.
No, stop fussing about such negative ideas and get the instrument that you desire, then enjoy it. Let us know how you get on, please..? rWNVV2D.gif

32 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Save yourself a good few £s and go 2nd hand. A T type Yamaha with contours…

An excellent guitar, being sold by a well-respected member of our Forums. A no-brainer, indeed, and at a real bargain price, too. Jump on it; you won't regret it. (Good call, EZ...).

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've realised in the last few years that I feel more comfortable on a 44mm wide nut than the standard 42mm.  This has lead me to commission custom strat necks with ebony fingerboards from a trusted supplier here in China with those dimensions which, more or less, match those on my Yamaha MSG.   And the bodies on those strats are lightweight mahogany, making overall for a wonderfully playable and comfortable instrument.  Nearly worthless in terms of resale value but up there with the best for effortless playability given I've moulded them to my taste.

It's way cheaper to go to a city and spend a day trying stuff out in various music shops if you can, than doing what many of us have done.  Spaffing loads of cash on stuff that we decide ultimately isn't for us.  Stick to cheap or easily customisable stuff until you settle on something that really works for you.

• Like 1

Depending on budget, I'd also consider the (very affordable) Harley Benton range from Thomann. £350 would buy you both a ST-62 and a TE-62, letting you try at a relatively small outlay both classic types. (The only proviso here being that they are a much flatter fingerboard radius than an actual Fender, but that probably won't make a significant difference to a new player.) 

Comfort-wise, tbh I don't notice a significant difference between a Strat and a Tele body, but I find I markedly prefer a rounder neck profile and a narrower nut. I've sold a couple of guitars over the years because I ultimately didn't like that very 80s wide/shallow/flat thing. Great for shredders, but I'm not that sort of player. 

Last weekend I was playing my Ibanez AS73. When I I picked up my Harley Benton TE62DB, I actually felt something like relief. I do love the Ibanez, but the body is just so big, it can feel awkward, plus the neck is a bit fatter - the HB neck just felt... right.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 20:50, Crusoe said:

Last weekend I was playing my Ibanez AS73. When I I picked up my Harley Benton TE62DB, I actually felt something like relief. I do love the Ibanez, but the body is just so big, it can feel awkward, plus the neck is a bit fatter - the HB neck just felt... right.

Strange one... I've been learning the Riverboat Song and having trouble getting the rhythm and speed of the solo right (I can play it in isolation, but not with the backing track). I was playing the TE-62 last night and just couldn't get it. Hands were sweating, fingers sticking to strings, just nothing working. I switched to the Ibanez and it was much better.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 10:38, Crusoe said:

Strange one... I've been learning the Riverboat Song and having trouble getting the rhythm and speed of the solo right (I can play it in isolation, but not with the backing track). I was playing the TE-62 last night and just couldn't get it. Hands were sweating, fingers sticking to strings, just nothing working. I switched to the Ibanez and it was much better.

I've had similar experiences. The feel (sometimes even the look - all psychosomatical...)  of a different guitar leads me subconsciously to play in a different way or to play different things... By extension, I suspect that different things just feel 'right' on different guitars... What was it recorded on originally, do you know? Something with a similar neck shape (so it - irrespective of the player - 'feels' better on the type of neck / guitar feel it was written / recorded on... Not sure I'm articulating that so well, but you know what I mean? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I've had similar experiences. The feel (sometimes even the look - all psychosomatical...)  of a different guitar leads me subconsciously to play in a different way or to play different things... By extension, I suspect that different things just feel 'right' on different guitars... What was it recorded on originally, do you know? Something with a similar neck shape (so it - irrespective of the player - 'feels' better on the type of neck / guitar feel it was written / recorded on... Not sure I'm articulating that so well, but you know what I mean? 

I've a funny feeling it was recorded on either a Les Paul, or a 355, or something else "Gibson-y", so the AS-73 would be closer to that kind of thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I know exactly what you mean. I have a lovely LP junior type with lipstick pickups. I love the sound of it for almost everything, but some things don't work under my fingers on it. But grab the StratoTele (in my avatar) and all fits into place for some reason. And the same in reverse. Must be something subtle about the size of the neck, the radius, scale length that just suits some tracks and not others. Although I have to say that the StratoTele covers far more bases than any of my others. If it had to be one it would be that one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, randythoades said:

I know exactly what you mean. I have a lovely LP junior type with lipstick pickups. I love the sound of it for almost everything, but some things don't work under my fingers on it. But grab the StratoTele (in my avatar) and all fits into place for some reason. And the same in reverse. Must be something subtle about the size of the neck, the radius, scale length that just suits some tracks and not others. Although I have to say that the StratoTele covers far more bases than any of my others. If it had to be one it would be that one.

I love the look of that! Custom build? Looks basically like an Esquier but with a Strat form-factor.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I love the look of that! Custom build? Looks basically like an Esquier but with a Strat form-factor.... 

That is it exactly. I love the Esquire, much prefer it over a standard Tele. And I love the shape and look of the Strat but struggle to get tones I like from it, so I took apart my Hank Marvin Squier and used the neck on a hardtail strat body which I sprayed satin Fiesta red, no laquer so that it will age more and get dinged. Love it.

Although, now I see the prices that the HM squier are up for on eBay, I often think that I might have made a mistake, but I love the neck to pieces, so comfy...!

• Like 1

I'm a newbie to the guitar world, daughter picked out a harley benton explorer, that is not a comfortable guitar at all... I bought a squier strat last week and that is so much easier, really light in comparison and very easy to sit with comfortably! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Redt4 said:

I'm a newbie to the guitar world, daughter picked out a harley benton explorer, that is not a comfortable guitar at all... I bought a squier strat last week and that is so much easier, really light in comparison and very easy to sit with comfortably! 

Ah, it is a fine balance between looking cool and being comfortable.

... there is a reason that a stratocaster has been around for over 50 years.

Edited by randythoades
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, randythoades said:

Ah, it is a fine balance between looking cool and being comfortable.

... there is a reason that a startocaster has been around for over 50 years.

Yeah, the dear old Strat is a design I keep coming back to. What I love so much about it is it's so iconic, and yet the design was, in the first instance, very much about form following function, which produced such a beautiful form. Says a lot too how it's been so adaptable over time for all sorts of different tweaks (chamfered neck joints, different trems and pup combinations, and all the rest of it), yet still remained identifiably a Stratocaster. 

• Like 1

It's a balancing act for me between comfort, looks and functionality.  I'm sure Strats are comfortable but I hate the look (reminds me of Bryan Adams).  First time I played a Les Paul I couldn't believe how much I DIDN'T like it.  It felt horribly chunky.

I've got three electrics at the moment (arguably too many).  My Ibanez RG421 is unbelievably playable.  I bought it in a shop and it was immediately great.   I kind of messed it up by replacing the bridge (NEVER get Cosmo Chrome, it tarnishes quick so I replaced it with black) but then I got dead frets.  So I had it adjusted by a pro guy near me and it's now basically playing itself.

My HB Tele has a bit more resistance but my favourite.  Teles don't give you anything for free.  But this one has a trem, so it's basically perfect.  The Tele shape is good looking and very comfy.

I've also got a 335 copy.  I've always loved that shape.  Very comfortable body but a bit large.  I'm mostly a sofa player now.  :)

• Like 1