ibanezImy

Chords and a left handed guitar

That's excellent, and well filmed, for this purpose, so well done. There is, however, a problem with the tuning. The low 'E' (the sixth string...) is OK, but all the other strings are tuned too low. It may be easy to fix, if you do the following...

Play the 6th string (the low 'E'...) at the fifth fret. This note will be 'A', and the 5th string should be tuned to that note. Tune up the 5th string, then, until the 6th string/5th fret and the 5th string 'open' sound the same note ('A'...).

Once that is done, play the 5th string at the 5th fret (the note is 'D'...), and tune up the 4th string, open, until it is that same note. Once that's done, you can check you're on track by playing the 6th string 'open', followed by the 4th string, 2nd fret ('E', an octave higher in pitch...).

Assuming it's all good, we continue by playing the 4th string at the 5th fret ('G'...), and tune up the 3rd string to that same pitch. Once again, we can check that the 'open' 5th string and the 3rd string, 2nd fret sound the same note ('A'...) an octave apart.

Now for the tricky one (not really, but it changes slightly here...).

Play the 3rd string at the 4th fret ('B'...) and tune up the second string to match that note.

Now for the last one : play the 2nd string, 5th fret ('E'...) and tune up the 1st string to that same pitch (the high 'E'...).

If you now play the 6th string 'open', followed by the 4th string, 2nd fret, then the 1st string 'open', you should hear a low 'E', and 'E' an octave higher, then the high 'E'.

Read this through again carefully, and try it out; reply here once it's done, or if you have questions or issues. From there, once successful, we can start looking to chord shapes and how to finger them. Firstly, though, the guitar must be tuned as described above. Over to you, and well done, again. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’m feeling really hard done by, I want to help but this all I see :( 

27C2D110-A4E3-4EC4-9416-3DBADF33B5FB.thumb.jpeg.2f7d0ac668213348d90c32403d40d3bb.jpeg

Sorry about this, but try chrome browser?.. I uploaded it via phone on chrome browser. I'm not really a wiz on computers much lol

Is there no option to download the video?.. Because i uploaded it without editing it.

Or try Firefox, because i can see it on my firefox browser on my windows 11 laptop

Edited by ibanezImy
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The videos are not working, I'm afraid. Can you do them again, please..? I'll delete the duff posts once the good video is up... B|

Tried playing it on chrome browser via phone? They are up for me.

28 minutes ago, ibanezImy said:

Tried playing it on chrome browser via phone? They are up for me.

I don't understand what you mean. I use a PC, and have done for many decades, and videos, correctly posted as were your previous ones, show up. Post your videos in the same way as your original ones and I'll see them. It's not an issue at my end. Over to you... B|

18 hours ago, ibanezImy said:

Clean tone a chord 

That's not an A chord, I'm afraid. You can play an A major barre chord by fretting all six strings at the fifth fret with your index finger and at the same time finger the sixth fret on the G string and the seventh fret on the A and D strings. Or you can play an open A chord by fingering the second fret on the B, G and D strings and playing them along with the open A string.

• Like 1

OK, the videos are working, but take forever and a day to display (far too big, probably...). I can now see and hear the 'clean tone a chord' video. and can see that you're going far too fast down the wrong track, so we'll have to start from basics. First thing : have your thumb placed in the middle of the back of the neck. This will enable your fingers to point down onto the fingerboard, not across the strings. You will need to have each finger able to point down onto any one individual string, and the thumb on the back of the neck will help with that.
Have you tried to follow and practise the 'How to play chords' video that you posted..? That very first lesson shows how to play an Em7 chord (only one finger required, no barre chords...), then an Em chord (two fingers...). Could you try that exercise and post your video of that, please..? Each string should sound clearly, when playing each string, slowly, one after the other. You'll need to be able to do this to make progress, and once you've got the idea, progress will come all the more quickly. Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

@ezbass @Dad3353 Sorry for any inconvenience caused loading videos. With them taking long time to load and play. But it seems you guys got there eventually. My bad dudes.

@Crusoe thanks for the feedback and input on my terrible chord. I will take a look at that some time tomorrow dude.

@crusie I didn't mean to tag you. Tagged by mistake it won't let me delete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you come back:

Tuning. There are tuner apps for Android, and I assume for iPhone too. Guitar Tuna is the Android app I fall back on if I haven't got a hardware tuner to hand.

Chords. Start with the ones using open strings. E, A, D, C, G, Em, Am, Dm. "House of the Rising Sun" used to be a traditional song to start a guitar career on (there is an F in there too). Once you get reasonably comfortable with them as you'll find them in the chord books, experiment a bit with barres across two or three strings - for example, barre the top three strings at the 2nd fret with your forefinger and use your middle finger on the 3rd fret of the B string for D.

Barres. Once you've got comfortable with the chord shapes using open strings, you can move them up the fretboard with your forefinger taking the place of the nut. So if you use your forefinger to fret across all 6 strings at the first fret and use the other three fingers to make an E shape, you're playing F. The same applies to the A shape and C shape, and the Am and Em shapes.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, check out Justin Guitar. He does excellent tutorial videos. He is a right handed player, but a while ago he tried learning left handed, to give him an insight into what his students go through. He put up the videos on his YouTube channel.

Another easy one to learn is "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly - 3 chords, A, D and E