ibanezImy

Chords and a left handed guitar

I really want to learn chords and how to arpegio chords too, but i get in a rut on how to strike them down with my neck hand, maybe its my left handed guitar maybe its my gain to high, i dont really know .. It's stopping me from improving on my improvisations.

So many videos on youtube teaching how to learn chords, but what is the most solid technique if you have a left handed guitar, or does it matter with left handed guitar. If you need to know what strings im using for chords, its light guage 10-46

Thanks!

We are very close to the incomprehensible, here. Can we try to un-weave some of the strands, please..? Please answer the questions below...

1 - Are you left-handed..?

2 - Is your guitar a left-hand guitar..?

3 - When holding your guitar, ready to play, is the neck of the guitar to your left, or to your right..?

4 - When holding your guitar, ready to play, is the thickest string at the top (furthest from the floor...)..?

With the answers to these questions, we will have something from which to start explanations and assistance. Over to you...  rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

We are very close to the incomprehensible, here. Can we try to un-weave some of the strands, please..? Please answer the questions below...

1 - Are you left-handed..?

2 - Is your guitar a left-hand guitar..?

3 - When holding your guitar, ready to play, is the neck of the guitar to your left, or to your right..?

4 - When holding your guitar, ready to play, is the thickest string at the top (furthest from the floor...)..?

With the answers to these questions, we will have something from which to start explanations and assistance. Over to you...  rWNVV2D.gif

1 I am left handed

2. My guitar is left handed.

3. The neck hand is on my right and my picking is on my left.

4. The Thickest string High E is on the top as a normal 6 string guitar.

Here are your answers..

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Subject to the above questions... as a left-handed player, I always found it much easier to pick up chords in the early days - I just mirror imaged the demo from the other, right handed players. 

I assumed it would be like that, but that's what is making it difficult to execute the sound of a certain chord, i can't seem to hit any type or shape of chord except a power chord.

8 minutes ago, ibanezImy said:

... 4. The Thickest string High E is on the top as a normal 6 string guitar ...

Can I just get some precision about answer 4, please..? For me, the thickest string is the low 'E', and, for your, 'lefty' guitar, I would expect it to be furthest from the floor, when in playing position. Is that the case..? rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Have a look here ...

Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book (Left-handed edition...)...

xUvcuyo.png

... This will get you on the right track; it's very good.

Here's another on the subject, but I've not looked into it very deeply; probably worth the minimal expense occasioned...

How to Play the left-handed Guitar ...

L67IAcF.png

Another, based more on the electric guitar (although the ideas are the same for any guitar...)...

Left-handed Guitar Method ...

JWMn3cj.png

I usually buy books and methods of the sort second-hand, as they are almost always in 'new' condition, but cost far less. It would be a Good Idea to buy all three, second-hand, in my opinion, as there is always something to learn from all of these methods. The cost is very low.

Have a look at these; if questions still remain, get back to us on here. Hope this helps rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Can I just get some precision about answer 4, please..? For me, the thickest string is the low 'E', and, for your, 'lefty' guitar, I would expect it to be furthest from the floor, when in playing position. Is that the case..? rWNVV2D.gif

The thickest string is at the top like normal 6 string guitars, then they descend like they should from the thickest string as a normal 6 string would.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good call, well done. Now get practising..! (Well, not too hard..! A couple of 10-15 minute sessions, each and every day to start off with...). B|

Yes i just have been, D chord and A chord seem the easiest so far.

8 hours ago, ibanezImy said:

I assumed it would be like that, but that's what is making it difficult to execute the sound of a certain chord, i can't seem to hit any type or shape of chord except a power chord.

Yeah, it just takes a bit of practice. It *will* get easier with time. I'd start with A/D/E, then add G and A. One of those "play all these songs with just three chords" books might be a good idea... I lean to the view that the faster you feel you can play recognisable songs, the more you'll enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ibanezImy said:

One question, how would I play a chord that has a gap between two or one notes.. they seem quite tricky at the moment.

You'll have to give an example, as I don't understand what you mean by 'a gap between two or one notes'. Over to you... B|

• Like 1

OK, the '1' indicates the first finger (the Index...), the '2' the second finger (the Middle one...) and the '3' the third finger (the Ring finger...). If the fingers are placed, pointing down towards the fingerboard, the string marked '0' is open, and should be sounded. The string between the '1' and the '2' should be noted with a '0', too, really, and should sound. The low 'E' is marked with an 'X', to not be sounded. The reason for that is rather academic; it may also sound as well, but the name of the chord is often taken from its lowest-sounding note (here, the 'C' on the fifth string, held down by the '3', Ring finger...). Ignore that stuff, and just get the fingertips onto those frets, and get each string to sound clearly. You'll want to avoid having any finger contact on the first and third strings that would tend to 'deaden' them.  Try it, and come back with the result, please..? B|

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353

From what I see on the video, you're doing nothing like the chord diagram with your fingers, which won't help. I don't know what you're plugged into, but it doesn't sound right, either. We're going to have to go back a few steps to find out how to help you. First things first, then. could you do a video, playing one string at a time, starting with the low 'E', then the 'A', the 'D', the 'G', 'B' and high 'E'. No fingers required on the fingerboard, just the open strings, one after the other. Let each one ring, then damp it, and play the next string. With this simple check, we can hear if the guitar is in tune, and what the amp sounds like. Can you do that for us, please..? Over to you B| ...

Douglas

• Like 1

Very good; thank you. Could you remove all of the effects from the amp, please, to have just a clear, bell-like tone of the string itself, amplified just enough to be audible, then post the same video, sounding each open string on its own, clearly. We're progressing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Very good; thank you. Could you remove all of the effects from the amp, please, to have just a clear, bell-like tone of the string itself, amplified just enough to be audible, then post the same video, sounding each open string on its own, clearly. We're progressing...

Okay but will be tomorow now from the evening... So basically you need clean tone next.

• Thanks 1