The Pinky

Practice Amp advice needed

Well following on from my thread elswhere on the forum, asking for opinions on the Epiphone Gibson Les Paul, I bought said guitar and and very happy with it. The seller was a little on the bohemian side shall we say, however he was extremely helpful and informative and the guitar I only two years old is near mint.  He told me about how he had set it up what he'd done and said to give him a shout if i needed any help with it.  I am very happy with my purchase.  As a result I am now looking for an amp for home use, I am thinking 10 to 20 Watts, anything less would be a bit lack lustre and anything more too much for home use.  I want a half decent sound and am not worried about massive distortion or effects at this stage, can anybody make any recommendations based on my thoughts and the guitar of choice?  There appear to be an abundance of second hand amps on Fleabay and Market Place, but I guess that may be from a lot of people who decided against playing the guitar or who have moved on to more substantial amplification.  I am familiar with the names of Peavey, Marshall and Orange, however there appear to be a plethora of manufacturers out there and I am sure they are of varying qualities.  My son has suggested Boss Katana?  I have also seen names like QTX and Kustom Dart.  I assume I also need to consider the quality of leads?

Any help would be extremely welcome please, and although I don't want to spend too much cash I obviously want reasonable sound quality and not to waste my money.

Thanks in advance.

Roland amps, in the category you're after, are extremely good, in my experience (I have several...), as long as you don't want to use their built-in distortion. Robust, clean, versatile; even older models sound 'quality'. They take pedals very well, but sound good on their own, too. Not always the most 'fashionable', so bargains can be found. Just my tuppence-worth.

Douglas

• Like 1

Well my dilemma has been resolved!  I went into the office today and when I spoke about my purchase a colleague said he had an amp that he no longer uses and I could have it - no charge!  All I had to do was give it a dust and buy a lead.  What a result!  In the interest of not commuting the same sin as I did in my other post here is a picture, apologies for the mess but the tonics are for gin.  Double celebration today, me with a new amp and my beautiful wife's retirement.  All I need to do is learn to play the guitar properly now!

20230421_203909.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Score! That should be plenty loud for playing in the house. I have a 20W ss amp and it never approaches halfway on the volume knob.

I think I've only turned up to 2 or 3 to quickly try it, I certainly won't need to turn it up to 11, although my son might!  I am thinking perhaps getting some headphones as well so as not to annoy Mrs "The Pinky" too much.

• Haha 1

On 21/04/2023 at 21:17, The Pinky said:

Well my dilemma has been resolved!  I went into the office today and when I spoke about my purchase a colleague said he had an amp that he no longer uses and I could have it - no charge!  All I had to do was give it a dust and buy a lead.  What a result!  In the interest of not commuting the same sin as I did in my other post here is a picture, apologies for the mess but the tonics are for gin.  Double celebration today, me with a new amp and my beautiful wife's retirement.  All I need to do is learn to play the guitar properly now!

20230421_203909.jpg

Score on the amp! I had a "Park Son of Marshall" G10R many years ago when they were first out (I think they dropped the Park band some years ago now). Those Marshall solid staters were pretty good for a solid, rock sound. Very generous of your colleague, and a great amp to start on. Should pair very well with the LP Special.