Strumbarmy

Acoustic vs electric ?

I am starting to think that I should have bought an electric guitar as I am starting to annoy "her indoors" with my acoustic practise!  I could wear headphones with an electric (which is what I had many years ago/1970's) and be almost silent.  Are the headphone setups expensive?  I know that small practise amps with inbuilt speakers, used to be available for peanuts in the 60's/ 70's, but have no knowledge of the modern stuff.  Any advice appreciated. Mike

3 minutes ago, Strumbarmy said:

I am starting to think that I should have bought an electric guitar as I am starting to annoy "her indoors" with my acoustic practise!  I could wear headphones with an electric (which is what I had many years ago/1970's) and be almost silent.  Are the headphone setups expensive?  I know that small practise amps with inbuilt speakers, used to be available for peanuts in the 60's/ 70's, but have no knowledge of the modern stuff.  Any advice appreciated. Mike

No, peanuts were phased out as currency in the late '70s (Jimmy Carter scotched it...). A small practice amp for electric guitar..? So many options, from the Vox Amplug and similar (plugs into the guitar to feed headphones, so no speaker, from £13 upwards, Thomann...) up to any 5w amp with battery power (£15, Thomann...), or Fender Mini-Twin (£42, Thomann...). There an enormous range of small amps with headphone sockets. Have a look through the Thomann range, or visit your local music shop, maybe..? B|

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Just sayin' *ahem*

A very fine instrument, and a sure-fire remedy for any domestic strife your practising may arouse. A worthy investment for any serious player. It's no hindrance that the Seller, Frank, is a well-respected Good Egg on this and other Forums, of course. B|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Strumbarmy said:

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Just sayin' *ahem*

Sorted! Quality guitar with a headphone output all ready to go and at a bargain price too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Sorted! Quality guitar with a headphone output all ready to go and at a bargain price too.

I don't think that my budget will stretch that far without "her indoors" becoming aware!  Fancy a swap for a lovely classic acoustic anyone!!!!

16 hours ago, Strumbarmy said:

I don't think that my budget will stretch that far without "her indoors" becoming aware!  Fancy a swap for a lovely classic acoustic anyone!!!!

Oh do feel free to make me a stupid offer, it was a foolish purchase and now it's sitting around doing nothing but gathering dust (in its case of course) and if there's one thing I hate it's an instrument not getting played.

I know that aesthetics shouldn't bother me at my current stage (zero to 1 out of 10!) but the look of it doesn't "float my boat"!  I played with a Strat copy when I was younger (a lot younger) and maybe I should have kept it until they invented bluetooth! :)   I wouldn't suggest that I make "stupid" offers as I can be really stupid! (which can really upset people!) 🤪 I am still persevering with the acoustic, with the emphasis on "severe"! Thanks for the responses, Mike

Edited by Strumbarmy

This may sound a bit strange, but I was also suffering with the same problem. Although I play electric too, sometimes I just want to pick up and strum for 5 mins rather than getting out cables and extension leads. I ended up changing the strings from the loud, bright bronze strings to heavyish electric strings and putting a jumper inside the cavity. Didn't change the feel as much as I thought, but really brought the volume down by quite a bit.

I ended up keeping one acoustic strung this way as I play mostly through a preamp into the PA where I have almost unlimited volume, and it cuts the feeback down.

But I suppose, acoustic guitar is one of those instruments that you learn the dynamics of playing both quietly and loudly purely with changes in technique and how hard you hit the strings. I haven't worked out this part yet though!!

• Like 1

Again, good advice and thank you for taking the time to respond.  My "louder" strumming takes place when Mrs Strumbarmy is out, or I may end up wearing my guitar, rather than playing it.  We have been here before, so I know roughly how far to push it!

Boss Waza Air headphones are superb, but at over £300 they cost more than a lot of guitars. 

Obviously much cheaper headphones are available but none I've tried come close the Boss Waza Air. 

On 03/02/2023 at 14:23, randythoades said:

This may sound a bit strange, but I was also suffering with the same problem. Although I play electric too, sometimes I just want to pick up and strum for 5 mins rather than getting out cables and extension leads. I ended up changing the strings from the loud, bright bronze strings to heavyish electric strings and putting a jumper inside the cavity. Didn't change the feel as much as I thought, but really brought the volume down by quite a bit.

I ended up keeping one acoustic strung this way as I play mostly through a preamp into the PA where I have almost unlimited volume, and it cuts the feeback down.

But I suppose, acoustic guitar is one of those instruments that you learn the dynamics of playing both quietly and loudly purely with changes in technique and how hard you hit the strings. I haven't worked out this part yet though!!

This may be a case of teenage exposure to early Bob Dylan talking, but sometimes an acoustic does just hit the spot that even with the time to plug up an electric won't. (Is that a reverse Judas? Ha!) 

That said, over the years I've had a weird enjoyment from playing my electrics entirely unplugged around the house. Like an acoustic, but much quieter! Can't hear it in the next room, doesn't drown out the TV if you're watching yourself and just want to noodle... I had an oddly great acoustic sound some years back from - no lie - a late 90s Chinese Squier Standard Stratocaster, with the plate / pots / pickups removed, and the bridge blocked with a synthetic wine cork. Of all things.... 

A semi (think 335 type) will give you the next level of volume up unplugged - though again without causing annoyance in the next room. 

• Like 1

I got a Positive Grid Spark Go. It's brilliant for this sort of thing. You can plug headphones into it and even use the attached loop to put it on your belt loop, allowing you to walk around the house with it.

• Like 1

Acoustic VS Electric I am the new guy, fresh meat, noob, cherry and know not enough yet. Being said I believe comparing the two electric vs acoustic, there is NO UNBIASED comparison. inefficiencies in both, yet both have strengths. It is almost like asking beef steak tomato or deep fried dill pickle, yes please both are good.