polvo

Yamaha Pacifica 012 or 112 - how to tell the difference?

I've come across a Pacifica for sale second hand and the seller isn't sure which model it is. When I've looked online it seems like they use a different wood and have different pickups - but is there any way to tell which one it is by inspecting the guitar itself?

There's a serial number, but that doesn't seem to tell me anything more than the production year and factory where it was made (using https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-yamaha_eng.php).

1 hour ago, polvo said:

... is there any way to tell which one it is by inspecting the guitar itself?...

I think that the 112 has a push/pull switch for coil-tapping the humbucker; the 012 does not have this coil-tap feature. Hope I'm right; hope this helps. B|

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 13:50, Dad3353 said:

I think that the 112 has a push/pull switch for coil-tapping the humbucker; the 012 does not have this coil-tap feature. Hope I'm right; hope this helps. B|

Thanks - but it looks like that's only the 112V, not the 112J. 

So still need to figure out how to tell the difference between 102 and 112J. Maybe i just need to learn how to recognize alder wood...

1 hour ago, polvo said:

Thanks - but it looks like that's only the 112V, not the 112J. 

So still need to figure out how to tell the difference between 102 and 112J. Maybe i just need to learn how to recognize alder wood...

Hard to tell under a solid colour finish. There should be some identification on the back of the headstock. However, this may just be a sticker and could be missing. Providing it’s a reasonable price, you can’t go wrong with a Pacifica, no matter what model it is, they really punch above their price point, as do most (if not all) Yamaha instruments.

2 hours ago, howdenspur said:

The Yamaha site is a bit vague on the differences, you might be better looking at the Pacifica page on say, Gear4music's site. There's a full description for each model. Don't think there's much difference...

https://www.gear4music.com/yamaha/guitars-basses-amps/electric-guitars/pacifica

The tuners will be different, and quite easy to recognise. The 112 has fixing nuts on the top face of the headstock, the 012 does not. The photos on the web site linked to above 👆 show this very clearly (look at the two black Pacificas...).

• Like 2