Dolando

Electric Resonator Scratch Build

On 26/01/2023 at 14:58, Dolando said:

Hahaha!  No, but what a guitar that would be…🤔 I wonder if they do scratchplate material like that, if not why should! 

I'm sure there's probably some way of doing it; probably involving soaking the teatowel in epoxy resin or something like that.

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2023 at 13:38, Variable said:

Looks amazing fella, there's me struggling to put together a partscaster. 

Sorry, only just seen this. 

Thank you! Parts build is how I started. I put together a Fretless Jazz Bass from parts and then went down a rabbit hole of guitar building. Now this is my 10th scratch build. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Loving this build and really interested to hear how it sounds

@Dolando - where did you get the bearing guided router cutter you used on the table for body? Looks deep enough to do a Tele body etc.
I have an inclination to knock something up 😂

Thank you! I’m hoping to do some videos at some point. So will be sure to share them here. 

It’s a whiteside spiral cutter. I got it from routercutter.co.uk. Yea it’s 50mm depth bit. Radian Tools also sell them, so worth looking there too. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Any chance of a short video of this intriguing instrument..? It certainly looks splendid. :)

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

We need to hear it too!🙏

I’m trying to film some videos of it. Acoustic and plugged in, so I will make sure to share it here. Sound killer through my blues junior and my prince of tone! 🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awesome build!! 

I’m considering doing a telecaster inspired reso build bit like this one

10F5A456-5B16-400E-8CBA-C49F41F92C78.jpeg.ad270bd62221bc4f73114ccf94bc22d7.jpeg

I've never owned or even played a resonator before but in you experience would having the knobs and pickup selector on the cover plate effect the sound at all? Cheers Jim

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Awesome build!! 

I've never owned or even played a resonator before but in you experience would having the knobs and pickup selector on the cover plate effect the sound at all? Cheers Jim

Will you make a gingham scratchplate? Please? Someone has to!! 😆

• Haha 2

On 27/03/2023 at 00:28, Jimothey said:

Awesome build!! 

Thank you! 

Having pots on the plate won’t affect tone at all I reckon. Just make sure they don’t touch the cone underneath. Could always use mini pots just in case.

So it’s taken a while to get to this, I’ve been busy, (Iceland/Star Wars Celebration).

Finally got a chance to do some last finishing touches…

I’ve added the dots to cover the neck bolts. I also added a tiny bit of lock tight to the neck bolts to prevent any movement from use. 

It really finishes it off and gives it that classic reso look! 

08ACB13A-B20C-436B-9883-88304A10B79D.thumb.jpeg.e318cb9c296aea74a3745d3ea90b4c0a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I’d let you know that I will be at the North West Guitar Show on 21st May. I will be taking this resonator along with a few other builds if you’re in the area and fancy coming to try it out. 👍

1081AF44-28CD-46F9-8285-58D3FE027E02.thumb.jpeg.7fbdbad7df7b4a67fcf683e6eedba58c.jpeg