ezbass

Yamaha Trans Acoustics

I went into my first guitar store in 18 months yesterday, mainly to check out the store closest to me. For a smallish store, it had a good range of electrics, a reasonable acoustic corner and a paltry handful of basses (most unimpressive). I didn’t look too long at the electrics as I’m not in the market for a new one at all, looking at the basses took no time at all sadly, so I wandered into the acoustic section, as I wouldn’t mind a mahogany bodied, dreadnought. One of the assistants asked if I’d tried a Yamaha Trans Acoustic, which, although having been around a while, I was unaware of. Through some electronic wizardry, you can add reverb and/or chorus to the acoustic sound (there’s an actuator inside the body, connected to the back). Sounded like a huge gimmick to me, but I humoured him and gave it a go. OMG! This tech is just amazing. I was blown away by it and had the parking ticket on the car not been getting close to expiry, I would have been sitting there for hours. I open tuned the guitar to play Zep’s The Rain Song, had the reverb on and it was fantastic, really natural sounding, not faux in any way, shape or form. The guitar, an FG, was up to Yamahas usual build and playability standards (i.e. very high) and I’m seriously considering buying it. The added ambience just makes you want to play it and, for those who write their own songs, seems it would be inspirational. I’ve only ever had the ‘I need this guitar in my life’ reaction once before. I make no apologies for this gushing review and I urge you to try one if you can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed reading your story. And why not? Go for it! I didn't know the guitar myself and watched a youtube video, I have to say that I'm impressed. I love it and somehow it reminds me of the fender Acustasonic where you have both electric sound and acustic vibes or vice versa for this Yamaha model. Go for it, follow your guts, and keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FrankAtari said:

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed reading your story. And why not? Go for it! I didn't know the guitar myself and watched a youtube video, I have to say that I'm impressed. I love it and somehow it reminds me of the fender Acustasonic where you have both electric sound and acustic vibes or vice versa for this Yamaha model. Go for it, follow your guts, and keep us posted.

I must say that the YouTube videos don't really do it justice, even Yamaha haven't over egged the pudding in their own promos. What I don't understand is how this passed me by when it first came to the market. I guess, much the same as my reaction, the guitar buying public have seen it as a gimmick and 'not a proper' acoustic. The current discounts available for both L and F ranges would support this notion, I think. I'm unsupervised (Lady Ez is away down to London) for the next few days, so I may do something rash ;).

15 hours ago, ezbass said:

I must say that the YouTube videos don't really do it justice, even Yamaha haven't over egged the pudding in their own promos. What I don't understand is how this passed me by when it first came to the market. I guess, much the same as my reaction, the guitar buying public have seen it as a gimmick and 'not a proper' acoustic. The current discounts available for both L and F ranges would support this notion, I think. I'm unsupervised (Lady Ez is away down to London) for the next few days, so I may do something rash ;).

Yeah Youtube videos must be watched with a grain of salt. You are so lucky you are unsupervised, you see... it's destiny  ;)  When I am unsupervised I eat sweeties as I am always kept on strict diet like a pedigree dog. We only eat nutritional values... and you know what? I hate veggies!

7 hours ago, FrankAtari said:

Yeah Youtube videos must be watched with a grain of salt. You are so lucky you are unsupervised, you see... it's destiny  ;)  When I am unsupervised I eat sweeties as I am always kept on strict diet like a pedigree dog. We only eat nutritional values... and you know what? I hate veggies!

I returned from the Co-Op today with 4 bottles of beer, a 4 pack of cider, a large pizza and a bag of bombay mix. Release the inner student in halls! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

TB8vJql.gif

If it had been 24.75” scale length, it would be with me, but it’s Martin 25.5”. I prefer that normal, Gibson scale on an acoustic, the EJ200 was 25.5” and didn’t feel as comfortable as my other hollow box, which is shorter. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

If it had been 24.75” scale length, it would be with me, but it’s Martin 25.5”. I prefer that normal, Gibson scale on an acoustic, the EJ200 was 25.5” and didn’t feel as comfortable as my other hollow box, which is shorter. 

Not ready to try mandolin yet, then. -_-

xD :P

On 28/10/2022 at 15:50, Dad3353 said:

Not ready to try mandolin yet, then. -_-

xD :P

Heh. I've actually fancied one for years..... but not the regular kind. One of those Brandoni 12-stringers, which is basically like playing a 12 string guitar with a capo on the 12th fret. Close enough to the sound for me, without a whole different chordal structure. Cheating, I know, but... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1