John_P

Post your pedal board

i used one continuous oak board (easy cuts) to make this: 

20220619_133024.jpg?width=320&height=320

lots of sanding, some stain, etc.  I used the scraps to create supports for the bottom side (given the stomping): 

20220619_133044.jpg?width=320&height=320

i used a 1 3/8" hole saw to cut an opening for wires.  i then took that plug and split it in half to make posts, to wrap the excess wire:

20220626_125139.jpg?width=320&height=320

on the underside, i used wire ties, tacked into the wood, to secure the power lines:  

20220626_125155.jpg?width=320&height=320

in the far corner above, you can see i velcroed the transformer onto the underside.  then, velcro on the top, and on the pedals, and a $6 leather handle:

20220919_172531.jpg?width=320&height=320

then, rubber feet on the bottom, and wire it all together.  PS this is not representative of my pedal setup, this is just for testing!  i'll post the actual rig soon.  

it's made it through 6 gigs.  hopefully more to come (we have about a dozen lined up!).

what i'd change- it doesnt stand on it's side, probably because of how heavy pedals are.  to put a stand plate on one side would mess with the aesthetic.

what i'm thinking of adding- maybe a shoulder strap so i can make one trip from the car to the studio. 

i can send plans if anyone wants.

• Like 4

New board on the way. I'd outgrown my previous mini-board due to the arrival of a Boss comp/sust pedal.

This one will have one spare bay - I really don't expect to outgrow this as I tend to use a few, quite selectively (I'm sure I said that when I built the last one.
Just some odd bits mdf and supermarket softwood lying around.
The black insert will take a rocker switch, as my power supply is unswitched - I may have a click issue turning on (even a loud one!) but worth a go for convenience and could always mess with a capacitor across the switch (IIRC).

Finish is PanzerGrau - same colour the Germans did their tanks - had a rattle can lying about (been used for some outside table legs, not an actual tank).

Waiting on arrival 50mm velcro hook and the switch.

Order of pedals may be (input > output) TC tuner > Boss chorus > TC Hall of Fame > Boss comp/sust > Fender Santa Anna drive > out.

Supply is an Amoon btw - 8 x 9v out (enough for me) and been great - silent, robust, reliable. I rate it.

I'll probably start with that order and see. 

Will do pic when finished.

PB1.jpg

PB2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm only a bedroom player, so don't have much in the way of pedals. The board is from Thomann, as is the case. I won the D'Addario tuner. The Blues Crab is a great little drive pedal. The Donner Dark Mouse is a rather good distortion pedal, supposedly based on the RAT. The Horse Classic Chorus is a cheapie from Amazon. Does me for all I need it and the Donner One is a basic looper.

20230610_221642.jpg

• Like 2

On 15/04/2023 at 12:38, Richie Rich said:

I just picked up a BOSS ME-50 through Facebook marketplace for only £70, it’s a beauty 😁👍🏻.

I’ve only just started to explore its capabilities but, so far I’m impressed.  Like most things bought second-hand, it needed a good clean 🧼 

C945504C-B6CA-47DD-9B7F-52B34D7DC5A8.jpeg

I remember Boss did one in the 90s that had a bunch of inbuilt stuff, then you could clip in three outboard Boss pedals to tweak it to your preferences (more modulation, more varied drives, whatever). I think it was aimed at players who already had a bunch of pedals and could be persuaded to try midi.... not sure it ever took off, though? 

12 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I'm only a bedroom player, so don't have much in the way of pedals. The board is from Thomann, as is the case. I won the D'Addario tuner. The Blues Crab is a great little drive pedal. The Donner Dark Mouse is a rather good distortion pedal, supposedly based on the RAT. The Horse Classic Chorus is a cheapie from Amazon. Does me for all I need it and the Donner One is a basic looper.

20230610_221642.jpg

Is that one of the Harley Benton boards? I was looking at those, but couldn't get my head round the sizes, whether they'd be too big... that one looks like it  would be a good size for me, though... Used to pick up pricier (but still production run) pedals, but these sort of minipedal Donner / Mooer / Moskey are my favourties now. The Moskey Golden Horsey is a cracking little Klon Clone. No idea how close it is to the original (never had a chance to actually try one of those), but it works for me. Too a long time to learn it, but what works best for me is just a *little* dirt, so it's not quite clean (you know, like when a radio isn't *quite* on the right frequency... just a bit...off.... ), and then it gets dirtier the hard you hit the strings... The MGH is great for that. 

7 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Is that one of the Harley Benton boards? I was looking at those, but couldn't get my head round the sizes, whether they'd be too big... that one looks like it  would be a good size for me, though... Used to pick up pricier (but still production run) pedals, but these sort of minipedal Donner / Mooer / Moskey are my favourties now. The Moskey Golden Horsey is a cracking little Klon Clone. No idea how close it is to the original (never had a chance to actually try one of those), but it works for me. Too a long time to learn it, but what works best for me is just a *little* dirt, so it's not quite clean (you know, like when a radio isn't *quite* on the right frequency... just a bit...off.... ), and then it gets dirtier the hard you hit the strings... The MGH is great for that. 

It is one of the HBs; the Spaceship 50C. Its 500mm wide and comes with the bag, velcro etc. 33 quid, so it's not going to break the bank. I have the power van strapped underneath it.

• Thanks 1

I was upstairs earlier and could gear my daughter mucking about with my guitar downstairs. She was trying the pedals and I could hear her gigling as she tried them. She couldn't work out how to turn the looper off, though. 😄🥰

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Crusoe said:

I was upstairs earlier and could gear my daughter mucking about with my guitar downstairs. She was trying the pedals and I could hear her gigling as she tried them. She couldn't work out how to turn the looper off, though. 😄🥰

Heh! Sounds like there's a bit more of an interest developing there - bodes well for the birthday! :) 

15 hours ago, Crusoe said:

It is one of the HBs; the Spaceship 50C. Its 500mm wide and comes with the bag, velcro etc. 33 quid, so it's not going to break the bank. I have the power van strapped underneath it.

Thanks - that does look a manageable size. That's the line I've been looking at, thinking of going for the flightcase one for ease of storage. All my pedals / strings/ tools / bits are currently stored in a flightcase box that was once set up for a drill; my dad picked it up somewhere in the early 90s, and we sliced out the foam internals so it's a foam-lined big box now, great thing. Almost like a record box, handy keeping everything safe in my chaotic flat! 

• Like 1