deFENDER

What's my next step

Hi, 

I have been playing guitar on and off for about 35 years and perhaps the on and of bit is part of the problem. Most of my learning is self taught by leaning the how to play various tunes using YouTube videos tutorials. Whilst this is fun and I have learned quite a bit from learning to play my favourite Hendrix tracks for example, most of the time I am playing notes and chords and couldn't even begin to tell you what they are. Perhaps what is needed Is a step by step guide on the fretboard, scales and music theory that is online something perhaps like youcian or Fender play? Any advise please. 

13 hours ago, deFENDER said:

...Any advice please. 

The obvious advice which immediately comes to mind is to contact a local, competent guitar tutor, of course. This will, after discussing the path you wish to tread, should result in a series of exercises and recommendations to take you to that chosen destination. It need not be expensive, nor too long-term, but is, in my view, the most effective way of advancing, provided there's good contact between the two of you. No idea of your whereabouts, so unable to recommend much more (although tuition through Skype or similar is also an option, if you're on some island rock in the Channel...). Worth considering..? B| 

As Douglas has said, a good tutor will be able to analyse your situation and offer advice and guidance. I suppose I would say this as an ex-tutor myself, but one of the problems with most online resources is that they take no account of your personal situation. Different people have different ways of learning and absorbing this stuff; if it so happens that the methodology offered by the website you're consulting doesn't chime with your preferred approach to learning, it will always be an uphill battle (with the complication that if you're struggling with it, the temptation is to think that it must be your fault).