PJ-Bassist

Favourite Acoustic Strings?

Favourite Acoustic Strings?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite coated phosphor bronze acoustic guitar strings?

• D'addario EXP Acoustic
    • Elixir Nanoweb
    • Ernie Ball Everlast
    • La Bella Vapor Shield
    • Rotosound Nexus

My new acoustic has been strung with D'addario EXP coated phosphor bronze strings.

Nothing wrong with them and the guitar sounds great but for some reason I have something against D'addario as a brand.

With bass I typically favour La Bella strings, though the New Tones on my Shuker are great!   I'm going to pick up a few sets of spare strings for the acoustic and assuming I stick with coated the phosphor bronze flavour I was wondering what the communities favourites are, so please vote :).

Edited by PJ-Bassist

My normal go to brand for guitars is D’Addario followed by Ernie Ball (I have used Elixr, but I find their tension quite high). However, in an effort to allow some electric type bending on my acoustic, I’ve been playing Optima Vintageflex. Not as forthright as normal tension acoustic strings, but a joy to play.

• Like 1

Had some Everlasts in the house so stuck them on the Auden to see how they compared to the EXPs it came with. 

To my ear they're much brighter and more alive than the D'Addarios.

Will give the Rotosounds a go next.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

On my tour de tone I'm currently giving some Newtone Masterclass strings ago.  Sound every bit as good as the Ernie Balls but not coated. 

The tension does feel a tad higher despite being toubd cored and luckily I bought two sets as the G string gave out on me tonight whilst tuning after adjusting the truss rod a little.

Still need to give the Nexus strings ago and have been reading lots about John Pearse strings so may also try them out.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

I've never really got on with coated strings, I have been exclusively using Newtone Heritage 12's for the last 12 years or so, they last really well and the balanced (low) tension feel is just excellent, i have given a few sets away top friends and pretty much everyone that has tried them has swapped over as well. before that i mainly used D'addario phosphor bronze, 11's then 12's for the 10 or so years before that, i did use DR (sunbeams i think) for a couple of years but swapped back to the D'addario as i could buy them locally rather than ordering online. I order the Newtones direct as that's the easiest for me now.

Matt