Skinnyman

Can’t shake off the GAS for 24.75” and HH…

I’ve had three “real” Les Pauls. One, a Studio, was fantastic and I regret selling it. The other two I just didn’t gel with. There was a Traditional which weighed more than a family car and a gorgeous Tribute which sounded great but was really unbalanced - the opposite of neck dive meant the body was always trying to drag itself off my knee when sitting to play.

I’d give up on the idea, but there’s something about the 24.75 scale, twin humbucker arrangement that really appeals so I keep finding myself looking at LP clones and wondering….

I don’t want to spend a lot (having lost a ton on the previous forays into LP-world) and I think my Gibson itch is well and truly scratched so I’ve ended up looking at the Cort CR250 and the ESP LTD EC-256. 

Or maybe an Ibby AR420 double cut.

Alternatively, I might start looking at SG clones.

What seems not to be an option is to just play the bloody guitars I actually own….

Curse you, GAS!

• Like 1

Love that Ibanez double cut look, takes me right back to the ‘70s. Maybe not to everyone’s taste, but check out the Yamaha Revstar range, these really fly under the radar, but seem great and even have a couple of high profile users: Chris Buck & Matteo Mancuso.

• Like 1

Ooh, nice! Significantly cheaper than GG for the same guitar (-£80). I’ve always fancied one with P90s, but have no need for another guitar, I don’t even play the 2 electrics I already have much at all. However, as we know, that’s not how GAS works.

• Like 1

Well, that went to plan.

Not. 

I was all set to get me a nice little Revstar when our local guitar shop advertised a new (well, NOS strictly speaking) Cort CR250 for £299. 

Other than being a bit dusty and needing some new strings (thrown in as part of the deal), it’s immaculate. Nice weight (well under the weight of a Gibson LP), beautifully made and sounds epic.

It’s now mine. 

I still want a Revstar, mind.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ezbass said:

You really can’t go wrong for that money. Pics as soon as please.

Except having yet another guitar that doesn't get played after the first couple of weeks...!!  And then buying a RevStar anyway...

Have fallen into this GAS trap more times than I like to remember... 😀
I posted another thread about not been able to gel with any stratocaster and subsequently sold my last strat for a loss... but yet I find myself looking at them again... When will we learn?

Edited by randythoades

Posted (edited)

Here it is, about to get treated to a good clean and some new strings. Setup seems spot on but I’ll check it all and set the pick-up heights to suit.

The overall finish is superb - not just for the price but for a guitar of any price. The binding is lovely and clean with no gaps or flaws that I can see and the fret ends are super smooth (the frets need a good polish though).

It needs a good clean up and some oil on the fretboard and I may swap the volume and tone knobs for black ones at some point but I do think I’ve blagged a real bargain for once 😁

IMG_8056.thumb.jpeg.9b15d6b4e2a227e363253e9fa1872288.jpeg

IMG_8057.thumb.jpeg.1cc87e47c8e5fdc2b6700661ecdf1ecd.jpeg

IMG_8058.thumb.jpeg.6a119748f9321f7aac3b9139f71e2a6e.jpeg

Edited by Skinnyman
Spollong
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, randythoades said:

Except having yet another guitar that doesn't get played after the first couple of weeks...!!  And then buying a RevStar anyway...

GAS is a cruel mistress, but she's a lot of fun :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

That looks like quite a slim body, should certainly help with the usual LP style guitar weight.

I haven’t weighed it yet but it feels lighter than my Godin which is a fraction over 8lbs.

It’s certainly not the boat anchor that was the Traditional I had. That’s the only guitar I’ve had that had its own gravitational field

It is definitely a pretty guitar. I am a Tele guy and don't really like the look of a Gibson style, but this is very good looking, a little more svelt and curvy. I would prefer dot markers than block, but that is just my inner Fender...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve just realised that it’s also the exact same colour as the PRS SE semi-hollow I had a few years back.

Given that Cor-Tek produce PRS SE models, I’m inclined to think that there was some PRS paint left over one day and a line foreman didn’t want it to go to waste 😁

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1