Skinnyman

Zero tolerance, Pat Metheny

I like Pat Metheny. I have many of his albums which I listen to regularly and enjoy.

Then there's his solo effort 'Zero Tolerance For Silence's which is, quite frankly, a p*ss take. I assume it was a contractual obligation thing before he left his label. But it's dreadful.

Or, as this is jazz and he's one of the greatest jazz guitarists of his age, am I missing something profound?

In which case, can someone tell me what it is?

There are loads - my personal favourites are The First Circle and the two  from the period when there was a lot of Latin American influence;

Still Life (Talking) and Letter From Home.

We Live Here is pretty good too.

Travels is an excellent live album that encapsulates a lot of his earlier material.

Enjoy...

I’d call it free improvisation. There was a lively discussion on this a while back over on Basschat, but it is a movement with quite a long history. A lot of it’s best known exponents are horn players such as Lol Coxhill and Evan Parker.

Amongst guitarists, best known are people like Derek Bailey and Fred Frith in his wilder outings.

Very much an acquired taste of course and not really for anybody who likes to know where the one is, but it does have a following.

For the curious, there’s plenty to choose from over on yoochoob. Not for the musically faint of heart though; you have been warned. :)

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

I’d call it free improvisation. There was a lively discussion on this a while back over on Basschat, but it is a movement with quite a long history. A lot of it’s best known exponents are horn players such as Lol Coxhill and Evan Parker.

Amongst guitarists, best known are people like Derek Bailey and Fred Frith in his wilder outings.

Very much an acquired taste of course and not really for anybody who likes to know where the one is, but it does have a following.

For the curious, there’s plenty to choose from over on yoochoob. Not for the musically faint of heart though; you have been warned. :)

Wow. So it is actually a thing? I just assumed he was p*sssd off with Geffen for some reason.

Or recorded the sound of his cat rubbing up against and then knocking over a plugged-in guitar.

Well, at least I know now that it's a thing I don't care for. I may not know where the one is - but i do at least like to know that there is a one...if you know what I mean.

That's ten quid and 50-odd minutes i don't get back...