Trav1sen

Fender vs Taylor

Hello! 
Im coming you with question about what to choose, so i'll be buying guitar next month and i found two affordable guitars, its TAYLOR 114ce-S and FENDER PD-220E Dreadnought All Mahogany, both guitars are great, im not a pro but also im not a begginer i can say that i am intermediate, 

So my question is, is full wood body matter alot in this case? Fender is full body and Taylor solid top and laminate, but i think that Taylor sound very good. Maybe you have proposition about which guitar to buy, im longing for warm base sound, and nice clear tones. ps it needs to be electro acustic. And cost around 700 pounds. 

Thank you in advance!

2 quite different guitars physically. One is a grand auditorium with a cutaway, whilst the other is a big old, non cutaway dreadnought. I have a dreadnought and a g/a and from a comfort POV the g/a gets picked up way more and is very articulate and very suited to fingerstyle. However, you can’t beat the dread for that big, sonorous strummed sound and is still good for fingerstyle. I think I’d approach it from the playability angle first, with the sound coming in second. The sapele should give you that warmth that you’re looking for, but with a little more top end presence, coupled with a more directness associated with the body shape. The Fender should be big and warm sounding. 

Try them both first if you can, what suits me might not suit you.

Edited by ezbass

I’m probably biased but ask yourself this question, Taylor is an acoustic guitar maker with production in their own factories in the US & Mexico. Fender is an electric guitar maker who have acoustics made for them and given the Fender brand somewhere in Asia( probably China). Which is likely to be better?

15 minutes ago, Graham50 said:

I’m probably biased but ask yourself this question, Taylor is an acoustic guitar maker with production in their own factories in the US & Mexico. Fender is an electric guitar maker who have acoustics made for them and given the Fender brand somewhere in Asia( probably China). Which is likely to be better?

Define 'better', to include 'budget' in the definition. I can afford a lowly Takamine; I can't afford a Taylor (or Martin, or Gibson...), not to mention some very fine UK luthiers. I'm not sure that provenance is the key factor here; the price is a better (but not absolute...) indicator. B|

Edited by Dad3353