The Pinky

Took the plunge!!!!

You may have seen elsewhere in other posts that I have been asking all sorts of questions ahead of a potential upgrade, well today I bit the bullet.  After much research, asking questions and visiting several guitar emporium today I picked up a rather lovely Lag T88 electro acoustic for a bit more than I was planning to pay, however I am absolutely over the moon with my purchase.  I hadn't visited this local music shop previously and I was delighted with the service, right down to the fact that my wife was offered a seat as she struggles to stand for too long due to severe arthritis in her knees.  The sales guys listened to my story and then proceeded to thrust a selection of guitars into my hands and being as my abilities are limited took each guitar back and played the same pieces on each guitar so that I could hear the difference.  I wasn't sure that I would hear much difference between guitars unless the difference in price varied by thousands rather than just a few pounds.  My wife and I quickly discounted the lower price ranges around £200 and in the end plumped for the most expensive, and the clincher was that the difference between the last two was that the cheaper of the two was of natural satin finish and my final choice is gloss finish.  I really liked the satin look finish but the gloss finish has a much fuller sound.  When I told a guitar playing friend that I was looking to upgrade he said that you really need to hold a guitar before buying and that once in your hands you would know it is the guitar for you, these words are so true in my opinion.

Finally back to the sales guys who offered me some advice on my playing and I may even book the odd lesson or two now.

20231125_175922.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Always good to plug a shop if they've given good service, as we are usually quick to let everyone know if we've had bad service.

Gutted, just found out apparently they close thier doors for the last time on Christmas eve, owner retiring.

• Like 2

Nice guitar! I remember first hearing of Lag about thirty years ago. Electrics, in that case - some very Superstrat type guitars with a lot of work put into the maple tops - like PRS had started out making an answer to Ibanez. I've never played one of their acoustics, but I gather they are very nice indeed. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Nice guitar! I remember first hearing of Lag about thirty years ago. Electrics, in that case - some very Superstrat type guitars with a lot of work put into the maple tops - like PRS had started out making an answer to Ibanez. I've never played one of their acoustics, but I gather they are very nice indeed. Enjoy! 

I'm no expert but what I do know is that it is a lot better than my older Hohner, and it was the best of all those that were thrust in my hands, both in feel and sound - it also happened to be the most expensive.  None of those guitars were dogs by any means, which is a world away from my experiences some 40 years ago.  After I parted with my cash the guys claimed that this £400 guitar holds its own up against more expensive guitars, and he was actually going to have this one for himself.

I am extremely pleased, I just need to improve my playing!

• Like 2

On 02/12/2023 at 22:20, The Pinky said:

I'm no expert but what I do know is that it is a lot better than my older Hohner, and it was the best of all those that were thrust in my hands, both in feel and sound - it also happened to be the most expensive.  None of those guitars were dogs by any means, which is a world away from my experiences some 40 years ago.  After I parted with my cash the guys claimed that this £400 guitar holds its own up against more expensive guitars, and he was actually going to have this one for himself.

I am extremely pleased, I just need to improve my playing!

Interesting they told you that *after* you parted with the cash (imo, makes it less likely to be 'just sales talk' - not to cast aspersions on your dealer, of course!). It's amazing what's available in that price range now for acoustics, perhaps even moreso than the improvements in affordable electrics over the years. With an acoustic, it's definitely worth paying that little bit more for something you find better, given it's not so easy to 'upgrade' them with other bits like an electric can be...