Redt4

New to all this

Hi all 

So thought I'd introduce myself here, have recently started guitar with my teenage daughter, both totally new to this and hadn't even held a guitar until 3 weeks ago. 

Recently picked up a harley benton explorer for the daughter(metallica fan!) and amp, then grabbed a squier strat affinity for myself, both second hand but in amazing condition from a local to us place. 

Look forward to trying to make a noise that sounds like a tune!!! 

Screenshot_20231121_072332_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redt4 said:

Any good online tutorials anyone can recommend for us??? 

Have a look here ...

Justin Guitar Lessons...

There are dozens of tutors, course and lessons out there, but others here are using the lessons from the site linked, as complete beginners, and are pleased enough to continue with him. There are lessons for all styles, so try it out, maybe..? Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Have a look here ...

Justin Guitar Lessons...

There are dozens of tutors, course and lessons out there, but others here are using the lessons from the site linked, as complete beginners, and are pleased enough to continue with him. There are lessons for all styles, so try it out, maybe..? Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Thank you, I'll take a look at that shortly👍

Edited by Redt4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

I tried to get both my children interested, but not really happened.

Biggest piece of advice I can give (that I am sure will be echoed by other members too)...

Take it SLOWLY.

I know it is difficult and you want to jump straight in and be amazing in a short space of time, but keeping it slow and going over the same exercises will really help with muscle memory. Precision is much better than speed in the early stages. Speed will come with time once you have the basics nailed.

Do short 'lessons' of 15 minutes at a time and then make a noise if you like, but shorter more frequent sessions are better than one long session in a week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, randythoades said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

I tried to get both my children interested, but not really happened.

Biggest piece of advice I can give (that I am sure will be echoed by other members too)...

Take it SLOWLY.

I know it is difficult and you want to jump straight in and be amazing in a short space of time, but keeping it slow and going over the same exercises will really help with muscle memory. Precision is much better than speed in the early stages. Speed will come with time once you have the basics nailed.

Do short 'lessons' of 15 minutes at a time and then make a noise if you like, but shorter more frequent sessions are better than one long session in a week.

I get that thank you, daughter started to get mardy last night as we had a 30min mess about!! 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!  Re: learning, go with music that you really like.  Find a song that isn't too hard and explore how far you can go with it.  See how close to the guitarist you can sound.  Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.  Most of us have followed down this path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1