The Pinky

Oh dear! Think I have caught the bug - I want more toys!

I am considering upgrading my present Hohner acoustic guitar as my skills and abilities are on the up and have been looking around (virtually anyway) at electro-acoustics from Yamaha, Fender (I had loan of one from my son a while ago and loved it) and Tanglewood.  The problem is I have fallen in love (at first sight) with one Tanglewood in particular and I may have to visit the emporium where it is for sale, it is over my budget so could be an expensive weekend!  Obviously being as I haven't even touched it yet, I'll have to give it a test drive first - after all its not just looks and the first date maybe disappointing and its not a match made in heaven!

• Like 2

i know what you mean. I started a thread about needing a new amp. As the amp I have is cheap, I don't think it would be worth repairing (or if it can be repaired). I have a bass amp and a Positive Grid Spark Go I can use. I would only need a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor for headphones for the bass amp (I have two of them, but I'm buggered if I can find them) and could use my pedals through it, but I've seen the Fender Mustang LT25 and am seriously considering getting that.

• Like 1

So the first date didn't happen as I checked the advert only to find that the price of the guitar i was looking at had jumped up considerably and being as it is not a short distance away from me I decided that this particular example is now beyond what I want to spend when I consider the pride now and travelling costs.

This has now given me a bit of a dilemma as there are several places which appear to have good reviews fairly local to me, however how do I decide where to go?  Is it in appropriate to ask for recommendations here?  I have seen several guitars that I like the look of but obviously I assume that I really need to try them before buying.  Being a novice I am obviously more reliant than somebody with more experience than I, on good advice from sales staff etc.

Edited by The Pinky
To make a little more sense of what I am trying to say!
  • Like 1

It sounds like the decision has been made for you.  This is not always a bad thing.  I missed out on multiple sustainer kit parts at auction last month.  Bidding went up to 160 quid for what might have been the majority of two kits.  Arguably a bargain but then I found someone where I live selling a second hand one for less. But then someone selling a completely new, boxed kit for a 30% discount off street retail.  So I jumped on that because it had everything, particularly the routing/drilling template.  And it'll get tossed into a strat that is tone hunting Def Leppard's live Hysteria sound (because the album was recorded using a strat and Rockman X100).

While in the office today I popped out for lunch and just happened to pop into a music shop and there are lots of lovely shines things in there!  I am now both really confused and tempted it's all too much.  Think I need to do some serious research and seek advice from some experts before any test drives.  Watch this space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My quest continues so today, another day, another town and another guitar shop and I like what I saw.  Following much consideration and some research I have decided that what I need to do is hold a guitar in my hand to know what it feels like before I buy and that is the main reason for not wanting to buy from classifieds as need to make some comparisons.  Added to that buying secondhand in such a way means that I have no guarantees, I don't know the history and at least if use a reputable outlet I know that I it will be set up correctly.  Besides which second hand prices do not appear to be appreciable lower than new.  

My thoughts had been turning to Tanglewood however today I briefly held a Lag  in my sweaty little palms and further as a possible result of this my budget maybe stretched a little more to £350 or thereabouts.  Can anybody offer any opinion of Lag guitars?  I would be grateful of your thoughts.

As always I will keep you posted on my progress.