Chudallica

Analogue and Digital

For years I've been playing around with different pedals both inline and using the effects return, more recently I've been trying out digital plug-ins using Amplitube.

At first I was interested in comparing my Mesa amp to the digital version but have now started using the digital pedals in Amplitube instead of my pedalboard setup.

To do this I had to bypass the amp and cabs on the software and thought I'd go thought the send return but can only managed to go inline, the controls on my interface seem to be affecting the sound on the crunchier channels but sounds great though the clean so ideally it needs to go though the send return. 

Q. Has many one else tried this ?

image.thumb.jpeg.1bbc8dd724cdc65c13abcc61939125b3.jpeg

Edited by Chudallica

Only with a Kemper.  If I'm honest, the Kemper profiles actually sounded better when they were created in a top quality setting.  Less noise.  My set up is pretty simple, I only use pedals in the effects loop and there's no discernable difference in quality with or without the pedal (Line 6 M5).  It seems like you have a fairly specific set up and might need to dig into settings and work out what's happening through a process of elimination - if that's possible.

• Like 1

Not done it muself, but I have been to a friend's gig where the guitar player she worked with was playing a Strat through a laptop into the PA. In truth had I not known, the only giveaway was that the sound he had was nailed down at a much lower volume than seemed "real". I honestly think we'll see more and more of this going forward. 

I really like the idea of this, being able to gig various bands with the same set up, but being able to change to an unlimited amount of sounds appropriate for the need.

If you used just the laptop into a powered speaker for example, rather than the amp at all, is there any way to change patches with a foot pedal?

I have been discussing something similar with @Kiwi but using a rack mounted effects processor instead, which is certainly working for me at home as I can go from a fender blues tone to a high gain thrash tone easily without touching an amplifier.

What happens when the laptop decides that it is going to do an update part way through your set? 😀

37 minutes ago, randythoades said:

...What happens when the laptop decides that it is going to do an update part way through your set? 😀

My (Windows...) drumming laptop and my (Windows...) desktop PC have been 'doctored' so as to stay in 2015, except for AV updates, so there's no risk of this occurring. I have no need, still less want, any of the stuff that comes with later versions, and my drivers thank me for it. :|

• Like 1