knirirr

Right hand technique

Despite thinking that I can't play guitar and should stick to bass, some incoming money (bass sale), appearance of a nice guitar at a reduced price, and the appearance of a good excuse to buy it mean I now have a Telecaster.

Previously, I had the following inconveniences with the right hand when playing guitar:

Thumb - excellent tone from downstrokes when playing chords (I did this in a jazz big band), but useless for single note soloing.
Plectrum - adequate for single note soloing and chords, though I don't like the tone and though I can use them they always feel awkward.

Proper guitar fingerstyle, or anything involving plucking with nails - not happening.

I've been trying the two fingers and floating thumb approach I'd use on a bass guitar and it sort of works, though it's a bit fiddly due to the relatively small strings. Is there any reason I shouldn't work on this? I wonder if it might be worth stickiing with, with switching to the thumb for downstrokes on chords (I'll only be playing jazz).