The Pinky

Is this a sign of bad posture?

I have been playing for about 3 or 4 months and a few weeks back I noticed a slight pain in my left elbow every so often, not so much when I am playing but at other times.  I have no bruising and don't recall knocking my arm, and it just occurred to me that the only thing I have been doing recently is picking up the guitar.  It is certainly not significant or constant pain.  I am generally left handed but play right handed (and that is comfortable), I tend to sit in a high dining chair to play but have started to stand more as I tend to hold the guitar more vertical rather than with the top leaning in to my chest a little.  Could my playing be the cause of the elbow discomfort or should I look elsewhere in my lifestyle?

Edited by The Pinky

It’s possible that playing is irritating the tendons and nerves given that you might be gripping the neck harder than needed (this is normal when learning and that need to grip too much should abate). It could also be something else of course. I have suffered from tennis/golfer’s elbow in the past and found that best aid to recovery is kinetic tape.  Maybe buy a roll and look up KT taping for tennis elbow on YouTube for how to apply (I used a T shape application of 2 strips).

55 minutes ago, The Pinky said:

...Could my playing be the cause of the elbow discomfort or should I look elsewhere in my lifestyle?

It's not easy to give medical advice over a Forum, but we could maybe be of more help if we could see what your normal playing posture is. Any chance of a photo, showing your sitting and/or standing position whilst playing..? Ask a family member to help, perhaps, as it's not so easy taking pictures of oneself, of course. Over to you..? rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thank you guys for your thoughts, I was wondering whether I was barking up the wrong tree which is why I thought I'd ask.  I certainly wouldn't necessarily expect a solution here or a diagnosis, but of course your feedback has given me some food for thought and something to check further just in case.  I am of course looking at other possible causes, and one thing this won't do is pit me off playing.  I will check further and feedback at some point.

Just a quick update, a visit to the gp has established its a tendon problem in my elbow, which hopefully is subsiding a little with some pain relief and anti inflammatory.  Wrt posture I have Zoom meeting next week with a guitar tutor, so if there are any issues there hopefully he can point them out.  Thanks and I will update in due course.

• Like 1