The Pinky

Guitars for the playing at home

Hi everbody,

I am relatively new to the forum and a returnee to guitar playing after an embarrassing number or years away.  I was never going to set the world ablaze, and nor will I in the future, with my playing as my guitar is for my personal pleasure.  I picked up a Hohner acoustic a couple of months ago for a reasonable price (£40) from a guitar enthusiast (I walked away from what I thought a lot of rubbish) so I figured it was somewhere reasonable to start, and this appears to have been confirmed when a local guitar tech saw it when I purchased a set of strings from him.  My fingers and brain are starting to get "match fit" and I am making some reasonable sounds. 

So here comes the million dollar open question(s)!

What would be the next reasonable step for my next acoustic if I decided to upgrade?  I am happy with where I am at present but as my playing hopefully improves could I and how would an upgrade be reflected in my playing?

Secondly the thought of an electric is sometimes appealing although not a priority, however if I was to go for an electric where should I start?  Being as I have been away from playing guitar for such an extended time I considered myself to be a beginner and have the knowledge of a novice, I appreciate that the Gibsons and Fenders are probably the pinnacle of guitars and not really for me (at this stage! 😉).  I get the impression like most things that you get what you pay for and that maybe some "more budget" equipment should be avoided.  The world seems awash with second hand guitars which is probably a good way to go if I know what to look for and what to pay, so what can I consider as a reasonably manufactured guitar, are there any manufacturers to be avoided?  Is it possible to purchase a reasonable second hand guitar, that is playable and could be for a period of time for less than £100?  Where should I set my budget?

A lot of questions I guess but that is what happens when you let somebody like me with limited knowledge into a room of learned ladies and gentlemen I'm afraid!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any guidance and thoughts.

Alan 

Personally I'm astonished how good 'budget' guitars are now, compared with what I had to try to learn on many years ago.

I have good experience of Tanglewood acoustics (got one for £130 a while ago for a friend). Yamaha make some excellent acoustics. There are plenty more but these are 2 makers I know first-hand.

As you know, there is a lot of choice 2nd hand - and an alarming number of instruments 'as new'... not played!

Then there's my library principle - if you buy well and choose good ones, you sell it on later for the same, maybe a little less (maybe more as in the case of my recent 2 Fenders). So I buy 2nd hand and consider the only real cost to be a potential loss on sale - the capital is not the true cost.

On electrics the same applies - lots of really good 'budget' guitars around. I see people selling bundles of gtr, practice amp, stand, cables, tuner etc (Ebay, FB etc) - could be a good place to start.

No personal experience but I hear good things of Harley Benton for example.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

My go to position on the first steps of guitar acquisition is always, you can't go wrong with Yamaha at any price point. They always seem to be of good quality and not just for the price point. Either electric or acoustic, it's normally just a matter of seeing what is available for your budget and deciding on aesthetics.

As Soledad says above, this really is the golden age of 'budget' guitars. Gone are the days of the the unplayable, finger shredders, it seems that the manufacturers realise that there is no future in making bad instruments, because you won't buy their brand again.

The best way forward, as ever, is decide your budget and get out, if possible, and try some. Even at the early stages of playing, you'll have an inkling as to what feels and sounds right, although this will keep on developing as you progress.

1 hour ago, The Pinky said:

...What would be the next reasonable step for my next acoustic if I decided to upgrade?  I am happy with where I am at present but as my playing hopefully improves could I and how would an upgrade be reflected in my playing?...

I'd echo the comments above ^^👆 ^^ concerning both Tanglewood and Yamaha; they are very good instruments at every price point, and (in my area of France...) readily available second-hand; prices for both range from 40€ to 400€, with most around the 100€ or so mark. If your present Hohner is a good one, though, you'll not see/hear a huge difference until getting to the upper end of the scale (Hohner make some fine guitars, too..!). Be aware, if you are not already, that the sound of an acoustic guitar is different for the player than for an audience; the sound is (designed to be...) projected forward. It's worthwhile to listen to a guitar being played by someone else to appreciate this. The style of guitar, its aesthetics 'feel' and comfort are all personal preferences, so no real advice there, but there is a jump in the price for models with built-in electrification, which can be an advantage. Best to look for a higher-priced model if going down that route, as 'budget' electro-acoustics are usually disappointing when plugged in.
Electric guitars are another 'rabbit hole', but, again, there are some 'sure-fire' favourites out there. For a beginner, maybe the first choice would be the 'style' of instrument, where the choice lies between Fender-type guitars (Stratocaster, Telecaster...) and Gibson-style (Les Paul, SG...), or another style, such as the semi-acoustics (335, Hofner...) and 'pointy'-style (Jackson and others...). Your budget will be the limiting factor here, and a combo amplifier would best be included in that budget. Playing an electric is quite different compared to an acoustic (same chords etc, but a very different 'vibe'...), so be prepared to adapt, and learn different techniques to get the best from each.
You're asking the right questions, though, even though it's difficult to give the right answers..! In any case, I hope this helps, a little. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thanks for the responses so far, all very useful stuff.  I realise that they were probably very open questions and there are probably numerous answers and opinions, however it is all good stuff to build some knowledge on and to confirm some of my initial thoughts.  The world has obviously moved since I last played with any regularity.  At present I am happy with what I have and at least know I am not a millions miles from where I should be and that at present any shortcomings are in my skills as a player and not my guitar.  I don't know where this journey with playing guitar is going to take me yet but I am enjoying the ride.  Thanks for your support guys, I am sure I will have loads more questions and I look forward to hearing and learning from others opinions, expertise and experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've handled many's a Tanglewood in the last thirty odd years. There's a good reason they are (or were at least) to biggest selling acoustic brand in the UK. Vintage also make some very nice acoustics. Hear good things about Harley Benton's offerings in that vein, but not had a chance to try one. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit late the party here, but instead of suggesting a guitar for an upgrade, I would ask "do you like the sound of your current guitar?" If the answer is yes, then I would ask what you want from an upgrade. If aren't sure of an answer to that, then you just want to buy a new guitar for the sake of it. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for electrics, you could go for a second hand brand name guitar and get something good for the money, or you could try a new Harley Benton. You get a pretty decent guitar for not a lot of money. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 00:14, Crusoe said:

I would ask "do you like the sound of your current guitar?" If the answer is yes, then I would ask what you want from an upgrade. If aren't sure of an answer to that, then you just want to buy a new guitar for the sake of it. There's nothing wrong with that.

The quick answer is yes I am happy and have become even happier as my skills have developed.  I guess in retrospect I should have asked more how would a more expensive guitar reflect in feel and my playing.

On 15/06/2023 at 00:14, Crusoe said:

As for electrics, you could go for a second hand brand name guitar and get something good for the money, or you could try a new Harley Benton. You get a pretty decent guitar for not a lot of money. 

I was lucky enough to come across a rather nice Epiphone Les Paul Studio electric guitar for what I have been advised is a reasonable price, there is not a mark on it.  The same guitar tech that checked the acoustic changed the pick up switch for me and he is suitably impressed with my purchase.  And bonus a work colleague gave me this little amp.

IMG-20230421-WA0001.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, The Pinky said:

The quick answer is yes I am happy and have become even happier as my skills have developed.  I guess in retrospect I should have asked more how would a more expensive guitar reflect in feel and my playing.

I was lucky enough to come across a rather nice Epiphone Les Paul Studio electric guitar for what I have been advised is a reasonable price, there is not a mark on it.  The same guitar tech that checked the acoustic changed the pick up switch for me and he is suitably impressed with my purchase.  And bonus a work colleague gave me this little amp.

IMG-20230421-WA0001.jpg

Result! I wish you many happy times playing it. 😀