Rabb

Hi Everyone :)

Hi everyone.
I'm a total newbie from Glasgow and looking for some advice and information to start the journey of playing guitar.
I found an old guitar I bought years ago in the loft (Hohner MW300) and would like to learn to play it.

Currently I'm struggling to get a chord out of it as it feels like my fingers are too large. Are there different sizes of necks you can buy?

Any advice on an affordable learner acoustic compatible with chubby fingers would be gratefully appreciated :)
Thanks,
Rab

:crigon_04:

There are various nut widths available, the widest tend to be classical guitars, but you should be able to find something that suits; measure the width of your Hohner and go from there. It’s hard to wrong with anything from the Yamaha stable, IMO, they don’t make a bad guitar at any price point.

The classical Spanish guitar (hand made) that I am using has a 52mm (2") neck, which is good for chunky fingers.  The more you practise, the leaner and stronger your fingers become and you are less likely to "foul" other strings (as I discovered!).  I had a Hofner classical, followed by a Squier Strat later, then "slept" for 40+ years!!!

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.
I'll persevere a bit longer in the hope that my fingers become a bit more supple.
After an hour or so today I think there may be a little improvement however, an A chord is pushing my patience. Is it even possible to get three fingers that close????🙄

Experiment and they don't have to be in a straight line!  When starting, we often press too hard too.  Try relaxing the pressure a little.  Small steps seem to be working for me, just going from one chord to another and back again until it sounds crisp and not dull.  Don't overdo it and have plenty of breaks.  I am a newbie too in reality, so I am with you in spirit.  Got any calluses yet?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabb said:

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.
I'll persevere a bit longer in the hope that my fingers become a bit more supple.
After an hour or so today I think there may be a little improvement however, an A chord is pushing my patience. Is it even possible to get three fingers that close????🙄

That takes me back! Yes, you can get them in there, but it takes time to get it smooth.

• Like 1

Good evening, @Rabb, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

As I have mentioned before in similar topics, one prerequisite for learning the guitar, and many other instruments, is Patience. Have a big bucketful ready whenever you're practising. Be aware that the fastest way to learn is to go slowly. A few short (10-15 minute...) sessions per day,  every day, is far more beneficial than practising for longer. Sessions of an hour or more are too long, especially when beginning. Little and often, and, most importantly, regular. As for chords : as above, don't press down too hard. A light touch, with just the barest pressure on the fingertips is all that's required. When going from one chord to another, vary the permutations (it's not the most musical of exercises, but gets the fingers used to obeying the brain...). Play 'C', 'F', 'E', 'A', 'D', 'G' or whatever (slowly, no rush...), just forming each chord, playing each string individually and together, and mix them up. A few minutes of this type of exercise each and every day will bring rapid results if you do it slowly enough. Don't expect perfection each and every time, though; if it sounds a bit 'off', and strings get muffled, carry on regardless, but more slowly still. In time (and quite quickly...), the fingers will start to understand what to do when your brain wants such-and-such a chord, and will find the way to get there. When learning to drive a car or motorbike, one pays attention to the synchronising of the feet and hands; after a while it becomes natural. Most learning of mechanical skill is the same. Do it often and slowly and it will come all the quicker. Have fun, of course, though..! Hope this helps. B|

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice folks. It's taken on board :)

As an aside, I picked up a cheap used Yamaha ERG 121 tonight. It's in great condition. I'm loving the string action. It's so much easier to get a decent chord than the acoustic.

• Like 1

Hi Rabb, I am relatively new to the forum and a returnee to playing guitar so consider myself a newbie again.  I am going through the chats on the forum and came across yours and wondered how you are getting on?  I am slowly getting my fingers into shape again, how are your fingers doing?