never_too_old_to_rock

Beginner needs help

Only picked up a guitar, a Gear4Music strat style electric (didn't want to spend too much until I felt I was making progress) six months ago. It was an ambition from way back to have a go and finally retirement gave me the opportunity. Anyway, I came across a tab the other day with something I don't understand and if anyone could enlighten me I'd be grateful. The A string on this tab is played open, the B string on the second fret, with nothing marked for D&G. The A & B notes are shown one directly above the other, which to my limited knowledge means they are played together, but how do I do that without hitting D&G as well?. Do I play A & B separately or hit all four, leaving D&G open?. Any advice would be welcome.

35 minutes ago, never_too_old_to_rock said:

...Any advice would be welcome.

Good evening, @never_too_old_to_rock, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

I don't quite understand your description; is there any way of posting a picture, photo, sketch of what you're seeing..? I'm pretty certain that we can explain it, once we see what you're seeing. In your own time (or now, if you can..? xD...). Over to you...

Douglas

48 minutes ago, never_too_old_to_rock said:

Sorry, not very clear. Can't find the tab right now, but this was what I saw

X e_____________

b_______2_____

X g_____________

X d_____________

a_______0_____

X  e_____________

Ah, OK; that's much better. I would play that using only those two strings (the open 'A' string and the C# on the 'B' string...). If any other strings were involved, they should have the fret number concerned clearly marked, but as there are none, they are not to be played. Often, on a chord chart, any string not to be played is marked with an 'X' to the left of the nut, to formally show that they are not used. So play those two notes at the same time, with none others sounding. The plucking hand will be doing this with one finger for the C#, and probably the thumb for the 'A', using a 'pinching' movement.
What tune are you working on that has this TAB..? Here's a similar piece to look at, suitable for learning; it's in '6/8' time, but you'll know how that sounds, I'm sure (counted '1 & 2 & 3 & 1 & 2 & 3 & ...'

xi2062C.png