hyndelegs

Smaller guitar shops that you would recommend!

Hi all, me again...

I'm getting closer to purchasing my first electric guitar (Squier CV 50s or 60s Tele), and I'm essentially looking to find as many of the smaller guitar shops / retailers that people have had a good experiences with as possible (and that they would therefore highly recommend). Note: the shop must have a website with online ordering and home delivery!

If you have bought a guitar from a UK-based smaller shop / retailer (i.e. NOT the big places like Andertons, GAK, Thomann, etc.) and had a great experience in terms of customer service, guitar as advertised, knowledgable staff, etc., then let me know the store name and location!

Preferably, I'd like to hear about shops that you have dealt with relatively recently (perhaps in the last year or two). BONUS POINTS for shops whose online listings include individual stocked guitar photographs, individual guitar WEIGHTS listed, and an extra bonus point for shops that do some kind of included free inspection / set-up pre-dispatch. (Peach Guitars in Colchester is one such store that can claim ALL of these bonus points).

Apologies for being, once again, very pedantic, but I've always been a bit of a detail person, and I want my first electric guitar purchase to be as correct as possible (as correct as online ordering allows at least).

Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated. (P.S. - thanks to anyone who has already mentioned smaller shop recommendations in other threads of mine, I have written them down!)

Although I haven’t bought anything from them for absolutely ages, my in store experience with Peach was very favourable.

In more recent times, Kenny’s music in Scotland (they have a few branches) are very helpful, I visited their Dundee branch a couple of times, both positive experiences. 

My most used outlet, however, is a big player, Guitar Guitar; no complaints either online or in store.

• Like 1

I honestly think that you're beating yourself up for very, very little. There's no 'magic bullet' to all of this; sooner or later, a plunge will be taken, and you'll be playing your (very excellent...) guitar of your choice. Abridge the suffering and bite the bullet; you'll be playing all the sooner. Whatever you choose, you'll be in the 99.999% of those highly satisfied with their choice, both of instrument and supplier. You'll be laughing about all of this in a few month's time, wondering why you hadn't done it sooner. B|

• Like 2

The last guitar I bought was from merchant City music in Glasgow. 

They were really helpful and let me noodle for ages on lots of different guitars. Every guitar I tried was well set up. 

I've bought small things from them online before like tuners and pedals and they've turned up really quickly. 

Also bought a bass from guitar guita a couple of years ago. Completely online transaction with helpful online chat on the website. Turned up quickly in good condition. 

Kennys are always friendly but I've not bought anything from them. 

Hope this helps... 

Edited by Fishfacefour
  • Thanks 1

I've bought from some of the main UK shops in the past, GAK, GuitarGuitar in B'ham, PMT, Gear4music, Merchant City Music ( are they still called that?) but my most recent purchases have been from TR Music in Walsall, a smaller family owned business. They are really friendly and have some decent stock, Fender, Epiphone, Marshall, Blackstar etc. Also some nice used gear. Highly recommend them if you're in the area. 

• Thanks 2

Peach are pretty big retailer but I've had very good service from them. 

Coda music is good from experience. 

Guitar Centre in Slough have a good range of guitars. 

My favourite guitar shop is Charlie Chandlers Guitar Experience in Hampton Wick near Kingston Upon Thames. They don't sell new guitars, but usually have a good range of used instruments and gear. They do a PLEK service and for repair work they're pretty much second to none IMHO. Charlie has done work for some of the biggest names in the music industry.