Skinnyman

Alvarez? Cort? Sigma?

Having recently sold my very-nice-but-just-lived-in-the-case-because-it-was-too-nice-to-have-out-in-the-living-room Taylor, I’m in the market for a ‘budget to mid-range’ acoustic. One that’s cheap enough not to care about the odd ding here and there but good enough to be well constructed and sound reasonable. 

Around £300-£400. 

Modern CNC machining means that there’s decent quality at this price these days so I’ve a good range of choice but I think I’ve narrowed it down to three.

The Cort SFX range has caught my eye, as has the Alvarez Artist series and Sigma have a couple of candidates. 

Sigma used to be tied to Martin and Cort make guitars for absolutely everyone but Alvarez is quite new to me. 

Anyone any experience of any of these? I’m going to try before I buy but that will involve a fair old trip as no single dealer near me has all three makes. If I can rule anything out before I set off, that will help 😁

All three have market place plaudits and quite rightly so. However, Sigma and Alvarez are more acoustic centric. If it was my money, I’d be looking at those two. When I was recently looking for a dreadnought, I was very drawn towards Sigma for their Gibson replicas and that Martin tie up can’t be overlooked.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ezbass said:

All three have market place plaudits and quite rightly so. However, Sigma and Alvarez are more acoustic centric. If it was my money, I’d be looking at those two. When I was recently looking for a dreadnought, I was very drawn towards Sigma for their Gibson replicas and that Martin tie up can’t be overlooked.

I’m probably leaning towards Alvarez then Sigma. There’s no good reason for that other than I like the bevel feature on some of the Alvarez models. 

Cort are at the bottom of the list but if I find a nice one, I’d have no qualms about getting it. The slim dimensions of the SFX are quite appealing- though I’ll need to try one to be sure. 

Apart from the actual playing experience, which I suspect may be similar across all three makes, it’s going to come down to how well the instruments are finished and set up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I’m probably leaning towards Alvarez then Sigma. There’s no good reason for that other than I like the bevel feature on some of the Alvarez models. 

Cort are at the bottom of the list but if I find a nice one, I’d have no qualms about getting it. The slim dimensions of the SFX are quite appealing- though I’ll need to try one to be sure. 

Apart from the actual playing experience, which I suspect may be similar across all three makes, it’s going to come down to how well the instruments are finished and set up. 

I like that Alvarez have their own, recognisable bridge plate. It shows a level of confidence in their own brand as opposed to copies of Martins or Gibsons. However, that’s just being really picky, especially from a bloke who recently bought a full on Hummingbird copy.  

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 1

I have an Alvarez acoustic bass and a lovely thing it is too. However, I did have to send the first one back as there were issues with unequal volume response between the strings, which I was going to have sorted locally, until my tech guy pointed out the bridge was off centre.

The replacement is much better, but the E string peg started coming out after restringing. Turns out the pegs lean forwards (ie towards the headstock). The peg has been fettled and seems stable enough now.

So in summary, lovely sounding and looking guitar, perhaps lacking a bit of attention to detail in the assembly process. I'd still buy another Alvarez, but would probably go for buying in person.

• Like 1

After a lot of reading, YT videos and review trawling, I’ve just pulled the trigger on an Alvarez Artist. OM size, solid mahogany top and laminated mahogany back and sides. 

Nobody within easy reach has one I can try so I’m taking a bit of a punt but I figure if it’s not what I’m hoping it will be, I can return it and I’m just down the cost of return shipping. 

I did try a Cort, a couple of Yamahas and an Ibanez. Nice guitars all but there was something about each of them that put me off a bit. 

What impresses me most is the sheer number of very good guitars available these days for £200-£300.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Mahogany top eh? Eschewing the more traditional spruce or cedar. I look forward to your report.

I like a slightly less “bright” sound and I had a noodle on a mahogany Washburn a while ago (which would have been a contender but that particular guitar was quite clumsily finished and sort of put me off Washburns).

It should (DPD permitting) turn up tomorrow so we’ll see if it’s staying or going.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

After a lot of reading, YT videos and review trawling, I’ve just pulled the trigger on an Alvarez Artist. OM size, solid mahogany top and laminated mahogany back and sides. 

Nobody within easy reach has one I can try so I’m taking a bit of a punt but I figure if it’s not what I’m hoping it will be, I can return it and I’m just down the cost of return shipping. 

I did try a Cort, a couple of Yamahas and an Ibanez. Nice guitars all but there was something about each of them that put me off a bit. 

What impresses me most is the sheer number of very good guitars available these days for £200-£300.

Ooh, sounds interesting!

I get the impression there are more acoustic or electro acoustic guitars in this price range than solid bodies.

I’m very impressed. 

The overall finish is superb. Fret edges are beautifully chamfered smooth, action is low but with no buzzing or rattling anywhere. 

There’s obviously a difference in the quality of the components but there’s really not much difference in terms of construction between this and my £3k Taylor. 

At any price, this is a nicely made guitar. 

I like the dark finish and the satin feel of the neck. 

It comes with d’addario EXP strings and I’m not a fan of the feel of them - I might stick a set of Elixirs on. Apart from that, I’m well pleased with this. 

1CA1937E-542E-4D1E-A198-70404AA7A028.thumb.jpeg.147ab70af3f3576cae6452bbdd5d8faf.jpeg

503F69EE-4E30-45B3-AF39-B22A4679AD24.thumb.jpeg.321541fbd26c4747fbf395be263a58db.jpeg1CA1937E-542E-4D1E-A198-70404AA7A028.thumb.jpeg.147ab70af3f3576cae6452bbdd5d8faf.jpeg

1750AB0C-69C4-45DE-A60C-0CB343F9222F.thumb.jpeg.8bfeb1b7c8052df14c7eee69d815d1b4.jpeg

9CB6B3F2-E6D0-4A6F-A690-ED895528A49A.thumb.jpeg.c07ea010052324170801eeb1eec8d27b.jpeg

D3E79692-F43D-4E31-BBCD-A6CE8800F568.thumb.jpeg.346c4e0c3b25bc42c150325c847b812a.jpeg

42A9D48E-90CC-4E13-93B9-24B9DB60B8E9.thumb.jpeg.c1f9a5bee4249ce14ed61df4a2a0ed24.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

That looks lovely.

Thank you - it looks even nicer in the flesh.

Well, in the wood. You know what I mean. 

I don’t usually go for high gloss finishes but the top on this is really striking with everything else a nice satin.

I’ve played it a lot today and the strings have lost their initial ickiness and are feeling much better now. It’s a very different sound to both the Taylor I had and the Faith Venus I had before that - not better, not worse, just different. More “woody” if that makes sense. 

I’ve also discovered today that I have the attention span of a two year old full of sugar and E-numbers. I’ve set myself a couple of songs to learn with classical arrangements and I keep distracting myself and end up playing random bits and bobs rather than sticking to the piece I’m trying to learn.