Smiffy

Oldie seeking advice on learning

Question

I'm 45 years old and unfortunately for me I've not been blessed with musical bones. My 9 year old Son has decided he wants to learn guitar,  I sat and watched a couple of YouTube videos with him, but could see the frustration etched on his face. All enthusiasm for learning has dwindled.  However I now wish to learn, I've plenty of time on my hands to learn. I'm wondering what is the best way to get started? Money is tight,  so the cheaper the better. Are there any good apps, online videos or books that anyone could recommend?

• Like 2

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Smiffy said:

I'm 45 years old and unfortunately for me I've not been blessed with musical bones. My 9 year old Son has decided he wants to learn guitar,  I sat and watched a couple of YouTube videos with him, but could see the frustration etched on his face. All enthusiasm for learning has dwindled.  However I now wish to learn, I've plenty of time on my hands to learn. I'm wondering what is the best way to get started? Money is tight,  so the cheaper the better. Are there any good apps, online videos or books that anyone could recommend?

Good evening...

You don't give any indication of your location, which may help. Why..? Because the best way to get started is to book a lesson or two with a competent tutor. Quite often, a first consultation could be free, or reduced rate, just to have a chat about what your requirements are, how to go about acquiring an instrument (and how to tune it etc...), specifically tailored for your case. It needn't be expensive, and is well worth its outlay in any case, as you'll be put on the right track from the outset. There is a plethora of U-tube videos, courses, methods, books and more, all of which can be a great help, but the best start, before even looking into this confusing amas of information, is to talk it over with an expert, ie: a tutor.
Good luck with the venture whatever you decide; hope this helps.

Douglas

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smiffy said:

Ok you got lucky. I like your story and I'm thinking of teaching guitar online as a business, because I'm very passionate and quite proficient. I'll teach you for free, or for a ridiculous symbolic fee, the basics and more, about reading music or tabs, picking a decent guitar and playing it of course. There is no catch, provided we find a smooth agreement. PM me if interested. 

Have you looked JustinGuitar on YouTube? He also has a website and does a full course of guitar tuition free. He does have a paid for app and seems books, but the free stuff will be more than enough to get you going. It m8ght even get your son interested again too.