owen

Easy to use multi FX

I teach in a college and need 2 or 3 easy to use multi FX units. I need stomp box functionality and ease of use. These students do not have the time to spend an hour programming them. I will have clean, grit and dirt programmed into 3 pedals. I am thinking Boss GT 1. Any other options which might be cheaper still but have that functionality? The Valeton stuff looks like it might do it, but perhaps the Boss brings more to the table.

TIA

1 hour ago, owen said:

... I am thinking Boss GT 1. Any other options which might be cheaper still but have that functionality? ...

That's a lot of money to not have real 'stomp box' functionality. One still has to step from one Fx to another. The first I found on the Thomann site with a button for each Fx is the Mooer Red Truck, slightly less expensive, and with 'real' stomp box layout and simplicity.
Far less expensive, and easy to use, is the Valeton Dapper Mini 4 Fx strip; this has the inconvenience of having to switch manually between Overdrive and Distortion. The Mooer GE100 and Valeton GP100 will both do what the Boss does, at less cost (the Valeton maybe a little tougher than the Mooer, if they're going to get mistreatment...).
Hope this helps; good luck with the project. rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, owen said:

Thanks Dad, both those look interesting. This process is helping me think through things. For real stomp box functionality, I guess a row of 4 Behringer pedals would be super easy to deal with.

Not quite. 'One ring to rule them all...'; how to change setting with just one stomp, to mute, or get a clean sound, eh..? Plus the power supply to the four (why four..?) pedals. A multi-Fx is the way to go, for simplicity and functionality, but complex stuff can't be made by magic into 'dead simple'. The stuff cited is about as close as it gets; your pupils will just have to deal with it (or forego the Fx, and have just a Tubescreamer clone...). Just my tuppence-worth.
Disclaimer : I'm a drummer. B|

49 minutes ago, owen said:

You do lose the functionality of that one foot movment = magic new tones.

It's not quite clear what exactly you're wanting, to me at least. I had the impression that you wanted 2 or 3 units, identical, that a student would not have to programme. He/she just presses the button for 'Clean' and gets 'Clean'. A button for 'Grit', one more for 'Disto'. What else is to be 'brought to the table', without losing this ease of use..? Any two-button solution implies programming the patches beforehand, either by yourself, or by the student. Any 'stomp-box' solution implies three buttons, at least, dedicated to the three uses defined above. Any more buttons could be useful (Delay, Reverb, Chorus... Whatever...). The Dapper Mini 4 does it all, except for the foot-switch to go from Overdrive to Disto (it's a toggle switch, to be done by hand...). The only one that really fits your bill is the Zoom G5N, at around the same price as the Boss. This has four stomp switches, which will do the job, and is also a multi-Fx able to switch patches like a two-button unit. It has the PSU supplied, which is a Good Thing. There are other stompboxes that fit the bill, from £500-£2000 and more, but that's a bit overkill, surely..? B|

Edited by Dad3353

I was thinking of 3 identical units in different practice rooms so that there was consitency.

Going to individual stomp boxes (3 sets of them) would give a more direct plug and play thang, but the massively enhanced flexibility of multi FX does win the day.