StevieG

Acoustic Advice

Hi There, 

I'm a new member and was hoping for some advice from the acoustic players out there. I am looking a purchasing another 6 string. I've started playing about with alternative tunings and don't want to have to keep retuning all the time. I mostly play my 1980s era Yam FG335 which I love and I also own a Ovation Celebrity. I mostly play un ampliified. I much prefer the natural sound of the Yam, however I find the Ovation easier to play, the neck shape seems to suit my hand better, there isn't a lot in it between the two but there is a difference. Ideally I want to find something that has a neck like the Ovation but sounds like the Yam .If you check my profile you'll see I'm not a performer but still want a quality instrument . 

Ideally I want to find a solid wood Dreadnought style guitar preferably with on board electrics ( although I don't often play plugged in it is nice to be able to if i want). Been thinking about one of the Gibson G45s probably the studio but could run to the standard if anybody thinks its really worth the extra,  or a Martin D-10/DRS or similar,(possibly the DX series but unsure about the HPL) I have looked at the Taylors as well but generally the ones in my price range are at least partly laminates, although I have heard very good reports of them so would be interested in opinions, and have also heard they have the most ovation like neck. Then of course there are the Fender's , always had a soft spot for them but hear so many differing reports on the quality, but for what I'm likely to use it for probably good enough and they are considerably cheaper. 

Now the biggy - I'm a lefty which makes the choice limited to say the least, nothing worse than walking into a music shop looking at the racks of beautiful guitars knowing that there might be 2 I can look at if I'm lucky and the chances are they are very much at the budget end of the market. 

Hence the request for advice, the chances are to get something decent I will have to order specially so won't get the chance to try before I buy so I am doing a lot of research. 

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. 

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Edited by StevieG

You don't give your location, which could influence some replies. Whatever your location (in the UK or Europe...), on-line sites have an excellent 'no quibble' returns policy, so it's quite OK to order a specific instrument, and return it if it honestly doesn't meet expectations. There are several sites offering 'lefty' acoustics, in the range you've given yourself, so I'd recommend using this facility, as it's only yourself that can truly judge the feel and the sound. All the brands cited are worth investigating, as well as a long list of many other 'usual suspects' that give satisfaction to many (Ibanez, Tanglewood, Takamine, Hagstrom, Hofner, Seagull etc ...).
Just my tuppence-worth, hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Hi there,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm based in North East England and whilst there are a number of decent  music shops around, especially in Newcastle, I have looked at the on line retailers and will probably go down that route given the strange times we are living in. I had not thought about the Ibanez or Takamine models as I don't know much about them but will certainly look. I own a Tanglewood 12 string which I bought new a few years ago and is a nice guitar, the set up on it was perfect straight out of the box so again that's a good thought. 

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Another lefty here. About twenty years ago I bought a Tanglewood TW15NS all-solid dreadnought. Sound has only improved with age. I want a smaller acoustic with a pre-war, Robert Johnson type vibe in the future; Tanglewood will be on my list to try alongside some Ibanez and Martin models. TW were  considered "budget" when I was first playing closing in on thirty years ago, but they really have established themselves well, and they are better than many brands in terms of left-handed provision. 

Your post made me think of one guitar brand straight away - Blueridge, not as well known as some but having played one i can heartily recommend them, the only dealers i know of are Hobgoblin (although my friend bought his from hound dog music in Whitley Bay about 10 years ago)

they only have one in stock but it's a dreadnaught. and a decent price as well i'd say (although it is laminate back and sides)

Blueridge BR-40-LH Dreadnought Guitar, Left Handed | Hobgoblin Music

my friend has the Br-143 (OM size) and I will confidently put it up against Martins at about 2k, it's a stunning instrument and is just getting better with age. If you could run to the BR-140 then i'd expect that to be pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Matt

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt P said:

Your post made me think of one guitar brand straight away - Blueridge, not as well known as some but having played one i can heartily recommend them, the only dealers i know of are Hobgoblin (although my friend bought his from hound dog music in Whitley Bay about 10 years ago)

they only have one in stock but it's a dreadnaught. and a decent price as well i'd say (although it is laminate back and sides)

Blueridge BR-40-LH Dreadnought Guitar, Left Handed | Hobgoblin Music

my friend has the Br-143 (OM size) and I will confidently put it up against Martins at about 2k, it's a stunning instrument and is just getting better with age. If you could run to the BR-140 then i'd expect that to be pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

Matt

Blueridge guitars are gorgeous - unfortunately, it seems they have only very limited left handed models, none of which are the small-bodied, very pre-war looking guitars, which is a shame because those are the really distinctive ones in their brand, imo.