EdwardMarlowe

2020 Epiphone headstock

So, uh ,yeah....

Couldn't find an existing thread on this. What's the vibe on the forum?

Personally, I've always thought Gibson were mad to notp ut the "proper" headstock on the Epi models that are budget versions of the Gibson. I don 't think the "conterfeiters" argument holds up as theyseem more than capable of managing it without Gibson's help. Equally, given the price difference, who - I mean seriously  - who in the market for a 1500-2K Gibson Les Paul would think 2oh, wait, I'll just buy that £400 Epiohone instead, bec ause it has the right headsatock shape"?  Way I see it, Gibson always just shot themselves in the foot by making the Epi stocks more different - or, to put it better, less accurate than 99% of the budget models out there. I don't beleive for a minutred anyone who really wants and can afford a Gbison would buy an Epi instead if they had the same headstock, yet I know anecdotally of many people over they ears who've bought Tokai, Vintage, or whatever instead of an epiphone because the Epiphone, no matter how legit, is still, at the end of the day, a copy... and a less accurate looking one for the headstock shape than many others.

Seems Gibson are now putting on the 2020 Epis a newer headstock which is a touch closer the Gibson, though still visibly and immedfiately different.

I'm wondering how this is going to affect the marekt for used Epis too. I have a Korean (1998) Epi LP Std with a flamed heritage cherry burst top that I'm considering selling. For a long time, I've thought a selling angle might be that it's aesthetcially much closer the Gibson than the later Epiphones, though I wonder whether the new headstock will be more desirable? Or is mine now more collectable?

I'm intrigued by Gibson's thinking. The Epiphone Elitist range was the last time I remember them doing something that I noticed really shook up the range. Shame those didn't last, though I do recall at the time thinking they'd made a mistake by putting quite an ugly heastock on them instead of the Gibby shape, and by badging them as Epiphones. Surely they shot themselves in the foot by making "expeisnve Epiphones" rather than "MIJ Gibson"?  It's interesting Gibson have run shy of something like that with Fender's Japanese and then Mexican operations having been so succesful for so long. Gretsch are another interesting one in that they use the same brand all through the range, with the different series 2xxx (China), 5xxx (Korea) and 6xxx (Japan) in different price bands and qualities, yet they don't seem to need the "protection" of a "Wrong" headstock or budget brand to distinguish linesand keep selling the top end. Will Gibson change its operation after its recent money woes? Is this move with Epiphone the start?

For my part, just about the last thing I think of when buying a guitar is the shape of the headstock, along with its 'copy' or clone effect and potential resale value. I like those that I have (obviously...), but if a 'pointy' one caught my eye, played well, and that I could afford, I'd buy it, whatever.
I don't really consider Epiphone to be 'copies', either, just different makes for different markets. I know that there are those that will pretend they've a real Gibson, and even tart 'em up to appear so, but in my time I've come across superb Epi's and Gibson 'dogs'. I'd much rather one of the former than the latter. I have a Samick, 335-inspired that plays as well as most Kalamazoo originals, and have never really compared headstock shapes; never really thought about it. That's just me, though; others may well think differently. B|

• Like 1

Funny thing is that I was just as happy with my Epi as a Gibson, but aesthetically I think i would still have preferred the Gibson headstock shape. I don't think I'ds ever discount an Epiphone on that reasona alone, though that said it does seem odd to me that Gibson woul go so long with a headstock so obviously different when there's so much more competition for the Epi brand now. Mayb'e that's the reason for the change, as the one they've gone for  now does look more like the Gibson one, even if still different.

I can't imagine wanting to make my Epi look like a Gibson more directly, but then I guess it comes back to what you want. I remember seeing the Bootleg Beatles' "George" using a painted Squier for the psychadelic Harrison Strat; that made a lot of sense where the guitar is efectively a prop to be played for one number only... Eventually I would also like to buy a bunch of second hand parts and build myself a Hendrix Strat (his last guitar, the black 68). I'm in two minds about whether I'd put a Fender logo on that. Not interested in counterfeiting, more about the look, given that I can't afford to buy an additional, right-handed guitar with the correct spec for a bit of fun. If I can find someone who will custom order the transfers, I might play around by getting something that *looks* right but is worded differently when you look closer (bit like Tokai did way back when).