TIMJMIN

JC-40 - looking for an ideal axe to pair it with, optionally looking into modding my current one to meet the needs.

Hello guys, lurker around here up until this point.

I have a Roland JC-40 amp at home that I got around the time I bought an american jazzmaster for my newly forming group back then. It was a fusion of jazz, classical and dirtier genres. Something along the lines of Tigran Hamasyan album - The Call Within. After burning out because of unsuccessfully trying to find a drummer who'd take on the challenge (6 months or so) I somehow coincidentally ended up going back to hip hop and crafting beats as the possibility to merge my lyrical writing and jazz influences present itself this way. Now what has changed is my preference tone wise. What I'm looking for is clean tones now, to let complex harmonies ring out but not as blunt as a jazz box. Distortion is not desirable atm. I assume a single coil is what I'm looking for. I do like the glass tone of strats and wonder if they'd be a good match for the JC-40.

The modding option I mention in the title has to do with a cheap squier strat which I keep on the wall or wherever close to just play whenever I feel like because the playability and construction is goddamn incredible for roughly 150 dollars (second hand). Playability wise actually better than my american jazzmaster worth ten times more. The sound sucks but I believe that's because of the low quality pups that are there. I would absolutely agree with the whole "just get a better guitar than pour more money into a bad and cheap one" if it wasnt such a joy to hold in my hands and play.

Thank you in advance for any input you may share with me,
Timothy

2 hours ago, TIMJMIN said:

...Thank you in advance for any input you may share with me, ...

You might like to cast your glance in the 'P90' direction, as being single coils with versatility ..? A split-coil humbucker guitar might suit, too. I have Xaviere Thinline with such humbuckers, which sounds fine through my Jazz Chorus amps. Just a thought on options... B|

• Like 1

All guitars can be clean and glassy, but single coils are probably more favourable as they normally lack that mid range grunt of humbuckers. Dad’s recommendation of P90s would be mine too as they’re my favourites.