alternative

Can someone help me understand the rythm on this song

I make it out to be a rather slow 4/4, with the first syllable of the lyrics falling on the 1 And 2 and 3 and 4 and ... It gets a bit 'lumpy' at times, as the singer, presumably playing on his own, skips bars or adds 'em in, but if I stubbornly carry on with my 1 And 2 and etc, it all comes out in the wash. I don't think these skips and hops are deliberate; it's just the way the fellow has it going on in his head. If I start to count from the first clear chord in this way : 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 And 2 ... it seems to work. Try it..? No guarantee, but that's what I'd drum to it. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

• Thanks 1

It's 4/4, but unlike most typical western 4/4 rock and pop, it doesn't have a typical snare drum hit on beats two and four, instead it has an accented guitar strum on two and four, which in part at least, is akin to reggae, where the guitar chops on the two and four beats. Reggae then has the snare (or sometimes a rim shot) on the third beat. Your tune differs in having the main drum beat on one. Listen to it and imagine it's a reggae song and you'll hear what I mean.

Edited by Musical Mystery Tour
  • Thanks 2