Serei

Empty sounding fingerstyle arrangements :,)

Question

So I’ve actually sort of arranged a song on my guitar, however it sounds quite hollow compared to other fingerstyle pieces I’ve heard. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix that? T_T

2 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Serei said:

So I’ve actually sort of arranged a song on my guitar, however it sounds quite hollow compared to other fingerstyle pieces I’ve heard. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix that? T_T

Maybe if we could hear it, we could try, because it's guesswork, otherwise. Do you have a Soundcloud account (it's free, and easy to use...)..? An MP3 uploaded to there, the link shared here, and we could all comment.
'...Compared to other fingerstyle pieces I’ve heard...' These may have been composed and performed by folk with decades of experience; their own 'first tune' may have seemed 'hollow', too..! Kudos for having achieved even one piece; it's not easy to obtain perfection  at the first attempt. Post a recording (you can link an audio file to this topic, or a video if you can do it; whatever you can...) and we'll see  how to guide you. Over to you..? rWNVV2D.gif

Difficult to comment without hearing it of course, but there are some things you can try as a general rule:

Try some chord inversions as opposed to the shapes you are currently using, then vary them/swap them around as it goes along, or if it isn't based on chord shapes, try sliding, hammering onto or pulling off with certain notes. An interesting one you can do, which people don't often try, is to repeatedly pull off and hammer on certain notes as you go, a bit like a trill, but keeping it going. Another interesting one to try is coming out of fingerpicking into strums and then back into the fingerpicking. 

Any tune usually works if it builds an expectation of something, then resolves that expectation, but sometimes, if you make the resolution a little bit surprising, it can stop it sounding mundane or too predictable. What also helps is to do something fairly different for the middle eight.