huey

Advice on guitars

Hi all, I’m deciding to either get a Goya model 4, Valencia CG-10 or a Hokada (made in Romania) as a present for a friend of mine. Anyone have any suggestions? Much appreciated. 

Might help if we know whether your friend is a seasoned player or completely new to it. A new plyer who is perhaps inclined to learn because they have been bought a gift will probably be happy to use a guitar with some laminate construction, whereas a seaoned player would probably want something with a genuine single piece wood top at the very least, and probably similar with the back and sides. Inexpensive 4/4 classical beginner guitars are generally around the 150 quid mark for a decent one, ones a seasoned player would get along with are going to be several times that price.

All three models proposed are in the €100-300 range; one would suggest that they are of equivalent construction, and not hand-built concert models. A Goya would be second-hand, I think, and prices vary (the Custom 4 costs ten times more, typically, than the Model 4...). Not much to choose between them, really, except confidence in their provenance (guarantee in case of a fault, maybe..?), aesthetics, and, of course budget. In this range, though, there are many, many offers, from so many brands, it's really quite moot to pick out anything really special, nor really bad. Sorry; hope this helps, a little. rWNVV2D.gif

On 05/02/2024 at 03:25, Dad3353 said:

All three models proposed are in the €100-300 range; one would suggest that they are of equivalent construction, and not hand-built concert models. A Goya would be second-hand, I think, and prices vary (the Custom 4 costs ten times more, typically, than the Model 4...). Not much to choose between them, really, except confidence in their provenance (guarantee in case of a fault, maybe..?), aesthetics, and, of course budget. In this range, though, there are many, many offers, from so many brands, it's really quite moot to pick out anything really special, nor really bad. Sorry; hope this helps, a little. rWNVV2D.gif

I agree, those are possibly production model guitars and not custom made ones.