Hib1

Best current budget/mid-range acoustic

I'm a feet up at home player.

The last guitar I bought was roughly 15 years ago. At that time there were a couple of clear front runners for the best budgey mid-range. Most folk were singing the praises of the Guild Gad 50 & Epi Masterbilt range.

I got one of each.

However I'm now looking to treat myself again & noticed things have changed. There doesn't appear to be any front runners. 

Any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, Hib1 said:

...Any suggestions?

Two come to mind. Firstly give us an idea of your budget, and secondly, play either seated or standing up; reclined is not ideal for guitar players. rWNVV2D.gif

Tanglewood make a lovely acoustic. Their dedicated a/e models are also nicely appointed with the appropriate Fishman guts. The buzz about the Harley Benton brand seems to include their acoustics - I've yet to try one. Simon & Patrick make nice acoustics. 

Although there's still imo a bigger quality gap between the two ends of the acoustic market than there is with electrics now, I lean to the view that it's not as big as once it was. As with electrics, which you can get for two to three ton these days is ridiculously impressive compared to where the market was thirty odd years ago. 

• Like 1

Silvertone Dark Star.

The reason I'm suggesting that one, even though it is a basic cheap guitar, is because I once listened to a youtube comparison of acoustics where the guy played five acoustics, didn't show them and asked people to vote in the comments on the best sounding ones, in order. A week later he posted the results. The guitars were: A custom made one which was over twenty grand, a Martin, a Taylor, a Tanglewood and the lowly Silvertone. Many people placed either the Martin or the Taylor at number one, but then put the Silvertone in seconds place, a few people, including me, put the Silvertone at number one. When the results were revealed, I immediately went to get one of them, which I found at Chase in Manchester and paid less than a ton for it. It had an horrendous picture of Paul Stanley and the Kiss logo on the front, so I oversprayed that to make it completely gloss black, sorted out the nut, the bridge and the frets, swapped out the tuners for some much better ones, put a soundhole pick up on it and an Aspri spring reverb unit. It's now my main acoustic gigging guitar and whenever other guitar players hear it, they want to have a go with it and usually end up wanting one.

My theory is that because it is cheaply made, the top and bouts are wafer thin, and that makes it reverberate really well. I have lots of other, theoretically 'better' acoustics all of which cost more than that Silvertone, including an Epiphone AJ, Aria MBA, Fender MA-1, Harmony Sovereign and a Gibson MA41, but that Silvertone blows them all out of the water for sound.