GingerRaccoon05

Mezzabarba vs Supro

Hi folks. I am having a hard time choosing my next amp. I think I have dialed my choices down to these two amps:

Vintage 1963 Supro (Valco) “Super 1606”

Mezzabarba Z18

I have tried a Mezzabarba, and it was extremely good. But they cost over $3.000, so I don't think that is an alternative. Yet. There isn't much info on the web, so can anyone help me out here? Other amps are also welcome

I havend decided if I wanna go digital either, when I think about it. I have looked at the new Quad Cortex and a bit at Kemper and Helix too, but I don't know. There all these menus, and you can scroll forever. Also, people says that you have to pay for good amp simulations and so on, so it's even more expencive. And I need a cab too... x2 for playing in stereo...

I like to see stuff visualy so I know what the knob is set to. Then Kemper is the way to go. But its old. Maybe wait for them to come up with an answer to quad cortex?

So I guess this is a double topic: tube vs amp modeller and two tube amps against each other

• Like 1

I’ve been in the audience when the guitar players were using Kempers and they sounded great. However, I have heard that on stage experience can be ‘off’ as they lack the ‘feel’ of a valve amp. For my part, I used to use a lot of Tech21 gear (still use their preamps for bass) and never felt that they were lacking in on stage feedback, so I’m I do wonder if a lot of players do a lot of hearing with their eyes. The downside with valve amps and especially vintage ones is the maintenance and their susceptibility to damage when being lugged in and out of vans, etc. in addition, eventually the supply of valves will dry up, I understand, that with the current situation with Russia, valves are harder and, therefore, more expensive to acquire. If it were me, I’d grasp the current modelling nettle and get the box I felt most at home with. This is tinged by having a buddy who uses a Kemper for guitar and bass duties and he loves it. Either that, or find a solid state amp that I really liked the sound of; YMMV.

• Like 1

As someone that has played digitally live I can say that @ezbass is right.

The modelling solutions do lack a little bit of on stage 'feel', they sound too polished almost, as if you were playing a produced guitar track off cd. However, the convenience and consistency really wins the argument for me. Whether I am playing on a reasonable venue (with in ear monitors you can't hear your own amp anyway, you hear the microphone in front of it), or a pub with no foldback, I can always get the same consistent sound by plugging in, no knob twiddling except overall volume in a mix. I don't worry about stereo, you don't really get any stereo effect from a single amp anyway but I can output the stereo feed from my rack mount into 2 channels on the PA if I wanted to (I actually use an old Behringer V-Amp Pro which still does the business live). I set 5 different tones (actually the same tone with various stages of gain and reverb) and just click the appropriate preset button between songs, the rest comes from the volume on the guitar or a boost pedal, but you can get midi switching pedals to control all sorts of things.

I would say that if you have the budget the just go with the Kemper. I know that it isn't 'new' tech, but it is well known, reliable and well supported, you can get good value buying used and the resale value is good. My suggestion is to get an older Line 6 pod or similar and give it a go at rehearsals, you might be surprised. If it works for you then get the Kemper and keep the Pod as a backup, if it doesn't just stick with the amp.

If you want to keep the modelling even simpler, then just use the Tech 21 FlyRig or Sansamp GT2 straight into the PA, only a few choices, but all fantastic.

Put it this way... I can go to rehearsals on a motorcycle with top box. All my cables and the Behringer in the box and guitar on my back. And then live I might take a powered speaker for on stage fold back, so use the car, but if we are IEM then I can do it all on a bike. Can't do that with a valve amp...

Edited by randythoades

21 hours ago, ezbass said:

I had one of these (just sold it recently on ebay actually). They work really well if you prefer the amp 'feel' but not the weight. The sound great (if you want that tweed Fender tone - and who doesn't?) and will output into PA too for larger gigs. But you do have to treat it like a valve amp. The louder you get, the more gain and adjustment you need etc. It doesn't react like a solid state amp in my opinion. I let it go purely for the reasoning in my previous post. I wanted a consistent sound into PA or active speaker that I could have at any volume with no knob twiddling. Although I don't gig much any more, my home setup is now the same as my live setup, I have a Yamaha active 12" PA speaker and my rack effects that I can use for both bass and guitar (and ukulele etc). I can use this as a standalone, or leave the speaker at home and use IEM as required.

So I now only have a small Fender frontman amp for small 'front room' type jams with friends.

• Thanks 1