Mumofboys88

Squier mustang or Jaguar?

Hi all, I’m after a bit  of help if poss please? I’m looking for a gift for my husband for Christmas - he currently already has a Gretsch electric and a Martin acoustic - he’s mentioned he’d like a Jaguar but has also sent me a pic of a Mustang… (I’m clueless as you can probably tell) but also wanting to keep it a surprise as he’d never guess that would be my gift to him… my budget isn’t massive in terms of the guitar world (maybe £400?) but which is a good pick? I’ve heard classic vibes are good for the money? Any other advice? I’m open to new or second hand. Thanks so much. 

• Like 1

The Squier Classic Vibes are really good guitars and not just for the money, in fact I think they punch way above their price point. As to whether a Jaguar or Mustang, you hubby has clouded the water with the pic. Both are good and around your budget. Based on the ability to upgrade the hardware in the future, I’d go Jaguar, as they are more readily available and a wider range of upgrades. Also, the Mustang body is quite small and can feel a bit toy like at times (I use a Mustang bass, which is the same body size, and am 6’ ). You could rib him a bit about sending you the wrong photo/giving it the wrong name, if you want to get some clarification. Who are his guitar heroes? This is often a good way to find out what someone wants:Johnny Marr - Jaguar; Kurt Cobain - Mustang (sort of). Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Very nice gift idea - and those Classic Vibe series guitars are really nice. IMO, they could as easily be labelled "MiC Fender" as Squier... 

If hubby is a big Nirvana fan, the Competition Mustang model is styled after the 60s Fender model that Kurt Cobain played on Smells Like Teen Spirit. 

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/classic-vibe-60s-competition-mustang/0374079502.html

image.thumb.png.8289c8ee8c8db4862b4f158c475664ff.png

If you can stretch just a tiny bit over the RRP (should be somewhere selling it cheaper than the £449 quoted on the Fender website, though) - the Limited Edition Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jaguar in silver sparkle would be a nice choice, in that being LE it won't be around forever, so it's a guitar that is sort of tied to a particular Christmas in time as well, which would be nice - https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/jaguar/limited-edition-classic-vibe-60s-jaguar/0374092581.html 

27 minutes ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

If you can stretch just a tiny bit over the RRP (should be somewhere selling it cheaper than the £449 quoted on the Fender website, though) - the Limited Edition Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jaguar in silver sparkle would be a nice choice, in that being LE it won't be around forever, so it's a guitar that is sort of tied to a particular Christmas in time as well, which would be nice - https://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/jaguar/limited-edition-classic-vibe-60s-jaguar/0374092581.html 

Ooh, that Jag looks very tasty!

• Like 1