Davidq

Telecaster Controls

Hello everyone. I rewired and flipped my control plate on my Telecaster so the volume pot is closest to the neck then followed by the tone pot then the switch at the jack end. My issue is the pots now operate in reverse. So normally if your holding the guitar in playing position and looking down you would roll the knob in a clockwise direction to turn the volume up. Now if I want to turn the volume up I have to roll it anticlockwise. Can this be changed or is this just the configuration now due to the way I have it set up? Thanks in advance for any advise...

23 minutes ago, Davidq said:

... or is this just the configuration now due to the way I have it set up? Thanks in advance for any advise...

Moving the pots to any position doesn't per se change the way they work. If they are now backwards, you've inverted the wiring, I'd say, and it would suffice to swap the two outer wires on each pot to have them work as they did before. Volume pots are normally logarithmic (that's to say : more sensitive at one end of travel than the other...); that would be a clue as to whether the wires have been swapped. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1

On 08/11/2023 at 19:03, Davidq said:

I’ll look into that. Thank you 👍🏻

Just been idly looking at this myself. I'm intending next year to pick up a HB TE52, and fancied running this mod on it, just to be a little different. I get that if you literally just flip it over, you're just inverting everything as you note. You can either rewire it, or the alternative is to replace it with a new, pre-wired plate. Good information here - https://myguitarlair.com/reverse-telecaster-control-plate/

I actually came across this thread as I'm planning next year to do exactly the same thing myself with a HB TE-52. I'll probably just buy a pre-wired plate for simplicity - in which case I'll go for one with a four-way switch, adding the option of having both pick-ups together in series or in parallel. Next I have to figure out whether I need something custom made for a left handed guitar...