The Pinky

The Twang Dynasty

I am a huge fan of those Welsh rockers Man, as well as having a liking for Deke Leonard and his story telling.  I have been reading the Twand Dynasty, I love the content and his writing style.  It is so refreshing to hear somebody talk about guitarists who are perhaps not the normal ones to be hailed as the best thing since sliced bread, I also like his personal experiences and observations included in the book.  Anybody else read it?  Deke's books are probably not of the highest profile!  

One day I'd like to read of his experiences in Man, but there is no way at present that I can justify the outrageous price of his book Rhinos,Winos and lunatics.

Alan

6 hours ago, The Pinky said:

Rhinos,Winos and lunatics.

One of the funniest books I’ve ever read. If you can find a copy at a reasonable price, get it. Same goes for Maybe I Should’ve Stayed In Bed.

Edited by ezbass
Wrong book title

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

One of the funniest books I’ve ever read. If you can find a copy at a reasonable price, get it. Same goes for What If I’d Stayed In Bed.

Most of the books I buy from Amazon are sold as 'second-hand', at a very low price, compared to new. Might be worth watching out for this ^^^^ title (there's none at the moment; I've looked...) to get a Good Read at reasonable cost..? Just a thought... B|

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Most of the books I buy from Amazon are sold as 'second-hand', at a very low price, compared to new. Might be worth watching out for this ^^^^ title (there's none at the moment; I've looked...) to get a Good Read at reasonable cost..? Just a thought... B|

I believe it’s been out of print for quite a while and the current costs are high because of the scarcity. However, it is available in a Kindle version for £6.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

Inspired by this thread, I have started re-reading Rhinos and it’s still good this time around too.

I don't know I you're a Man fan or not, I assume you are.  I was lucky to see them a couple of times and the most surreal was to see them headlining at a far from full Royal Albert Hall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Pinky said:

I don't know I you're a Man fan or not, I assume you are.  I was lucky to see them a couple of times and the most surreal was to see them headlining at a far from full Royal Albert Hall.

I’m not a massive fan, I have a live DVD of theirs, but I’ve never seen them in the flesh (as a band). I sort of grew up with them around. I learnt A Hard Way To Live for my band as a teenager and Micky Jones played venues local to me at the time (South London). I can’t remember why I bought Deke’s Rhinos, but it’s one of my favourite reads and I recommend it to anyone, not just musicians; he was a very talented writer.

On 25/08/2023 at 15:22, ezbass said:

It was inevitable, reread part two…

IMG_0662.jpeg

I've been looking at that one, at the moment I am still on The Twang Dynasty as I keep getting sidetracked by listening to some of the tracks and artists he discusses in there.  I just love his Jimi Hendrix story - not the usual sort of thing you hear when talking boutJH, especially the last sentence!