The Pinky

Alternative tuning

I am fascinated by alternative tuning, I don't know any and have never tuned to anything other than standard tuning, however I remember years ago Michael Chapman released an album about playing guitar the easy way.  This comprised of alternative tunings to play selected songs - it never seemed easy to me.  This week I learnt that apparently Otis Redding couldn't play guitar but had a guitar tuned so that he could play chords simply by "barre" a finger across all the strings and simply moving up and down the frets.  I'd never heard of this before and I wondered how the guitar is tuned to achieve this.  I realise it is a very limited way to play.

Tune to the chord of your choice (major or minor) and then if you barre anywhere on the neck, you have that mode of chord at a different pitch. For instance, tune your guitar so that it plays an E major (E B E G# B E), then barre at the 3rd fret and you have a G major and so on. Keith Richards is well known for taking off the 6th string and tuning to open G (G B D B D), although you can leave the 6th on and tune it to D. Play a straight barre anywhere, then play a Amin7 shape and then release it; instant Stones and great for slide.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

It's worth exploring 2 widely used open tunings: DADF#AD - basically an E Maj open tuning but a whole tone down. I think Joni Mitchell used that quite a bit. The other obvious is DADGAD and Tony McManus is an exponent  - he has some vids on Youtube and explains the whole thing very well.

I've personally found some care in choice of strings / gauges is important as dropping a whole tone on the low E (for example) it can easily become sloppy. I suspect the devotees have guitars set aside and set-up for the above tunings.

I recommend Tony McManus 'Introduction to DADGAD' on YT (YT prevents me from embedding that vid here, but it's easy to find).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9q6dFOpA4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1